Author Topic: Know your neighbors!  (Read 3902 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Know your neighbors!
« on: June 27, 2016, 08:40:16 pm »
Below is a link to the national sex offender registry.  It's a good idea to know who your neighbors are.  Since I have children I check it a few times a year.  I just found out there is one living a half mile from our house.  Living where I do out in the country that's pretty much a next door neighbor to us.  I've already had problems with this guy once.  That was before I found out he was a registered offender.  I'll be keeping an extra close eye on him now.   

It just takes a few seconds to enter your address and it shows you any registered offenders on a map. 

Remove the space at the beginning for the web address.

h ttp://www.familywatchdog.us/#
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Knotty

• Don't regret your past, learn from it.
Re: Know your neighbors!
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 08:51:22 pm »
Wow that's so interesting!
Such thing should be done in more countries, but in a country like Brazil you'd probably have 10 within a mile from your house.

Afterall , in Italy there's a saying: "Tutto il mondo é paese" which technically means , the whole world is the same, the only changes are made in language and culture, but the human being is bad by nature,
You never know who's living right next to you.
May God protect all of us.
~Isaia

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 09:02:46 pm »
You know this registry is a great idea but the definition of a sex offender needs a little work. Some poor young buck gets convicted of statutory rape and he's labelled and hounded for life when as near as I can see he's not a whole lot different than most of us. He's certainly not a danger to kids or woman. And no, I was not convicted of statutory rape.
Just sayin', that's all.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 09:25:23 pm »
You know this registry is a great idea but the definition of a sex offender needs a little work. Some poor young buck gets convicted of statutory rape and he's labelled and hounded for life when as near as I can see he's not a whole lot different than most of us. He's certainly not a danger to kids or woman. And no, I was not convicted of statutory rape.
Just sayin', that's all.

I don't want to get into the reasons a guy gets put on the list.  I know there are flaws in it.  When you click on an offender on the map it shows you what he was charged with. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 09:32:18 pm »
OK that works then. I wasn't aware of that. Just going by a couple of TV shows I saw. I'll shut up now.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 09:58:07 pm »
And he has every chance to get his status changed if he wants too.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 10:07:10 am »
I also check quite often. Some had a bad deal, but others are out and out monsters. Most, fit into the monster category.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 10:11:17 am »
And he has every chance to get his status changed if he wants too.

That varies by state and in most cases getting removed is a Herculean task that can take a decade or more. The list is important and a valuable tool, but one must be careful in assuming the worst. A good friend of mine almost landed on that list in high school, he and his girlfriend had been dating for over 3 years, he turned 18 six months before she did and her dad decided he was going to make a stink over it and the only reason my friend didn't go to jail and end up on the registry is because the officer that came to get him listened to the story and went and talked to the father explaining that he would be ruining this kids life forever and that while as an officer he may be required to fulfill his duty he would make it his personal mission to make the father wish he'd never met him. Needless to say at that point he was no longer willing to pursue the matter.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 10:14:32 am »
I'm glad the info is available. It's startling to see how many are around in any town you search in the US.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 11:51:58 am »
I check it periodically too. It's troubling just how many are around. Whatever the reason someone is on the list I still like to know who is around my children and take appropriate caution.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2016, 12:20:11 pm »
I hear you Osage, we had one 1 1/2 miles from our house too. I was at the time very surprised. unfortunately nothing surprises me anymore since they started shipping there problem low income area folks  to or area. I'm totally amazed how many people are arrested for Heroin that stuff just never use to be here, and its always a name you don't know.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2016, 10:05:44 pm »
Its true that in some areas it is insanely easy to end up on the list for life and in some cases for something unrelated to sex, children, or gross public behavior.  Here in South Dakota, you are automatically registered if you get caught taking a leak outside. 

Do not use this list to find someone to hound and harass, but be welcome to use it to be aware!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2016, 08:28:16 am »
Same her J-Dub. Get caught wizzing behind your tent by a stranger and your on the list if they choose to call. The list does give enough info to know if it was real crime or pee crime.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2016, 10:17:32 am »
Same her J-Dub. Get caught wizzing behind your tent by a stranger and your on the list if they choose to call. The list does give enough info to know if it was real crime or pee crime.

Errrr. Not really. It would show up as lewdness in front of a child. that can be bad, or, just peeing behind your tent!
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

JacksonCash

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2016, 10:18:43 am »
Err... I need to think about moving...