Author Topic: Snakey limb location  (Read 5671 times)

Offline Lost Arra

Snakey limb location
« on: February 28, 2008, 04:35:42 pm »
Regarding osage, when laying out a bow and you anticipate a snakey section on a limb do you automatically put it as the upper or lower limb?

Or just see how things go as you start tillering?

Most of mine end up on the top for no particular reason.

I've got one with a sideways whoop de doo right at the area which will be the fade. Just for shooting purposes I would like it to be on the lower limb because it could be distracting when shooting. Does that make sense?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Snakey limb location
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 05:58:18 pm »
I don't think it matters where you put the snaky limb. I prefer it on top so I can look at it. ;D   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 07:55:09 pm »
Send it to me and I will determine the best spot for it, heck ya might even get it back ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline richpierce

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 08:44:51 pm »
I think the top of the tree should be the top limb in a primitive bow.  I just try to position and cut things so the string is over the handle somewhat.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 09:16:28 pm »
I think I would prefer it were on top so I could look at it more too.  Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 09:28:00 pm »
Plus, if it's the top limb, when it breaks, it'll conk you up side the head instead of somewhere more important.  ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 10:39:15 pm »
Read the book bows and arrows of the Cherokees and there was a paragraph about the top part of the tree should be the upper limb of the bow or it wouldn't shoot right , but then again thats kinda hard to determine when you buy staves and billets
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 11:14:51 pm »
dont matter....bob

Offline Keenan

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 12:50:19 am »
Lost Arra, there are several things that should be considered.  You want to think about what will place your hand best to avoid string slap. And also you should look for what will give the best arrow pass with the least amout of paradox. Whenever I'm doing snaky character bows I will use that for determining handle placement as well as upper and lower limb orientation. The other factor is tip to handle line up, but that can be tweeked if nessesary.   Hope that helps.   Keenan

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 02:35:19 am »
Native Americans and primitive man in general probably didn't use character bows anyway. More work than necessary. Although most primitive bows I've seen had plenty of character.
   Probably the most important thing to consider is which limb can take the most stress and that should be the bottom limb.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 04:09:52 am »
.... I prefer it on top so I can look at it. ;D   Pat

YES!
Frank from Germany...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 07:27:55 am »
I do a lot and as far as I can tell it don't matter.After I get it braces I decide ,when holding
it witch feels the best.Never worried about the limb or root end of the tree.If I am splicing
I try to put the root ends togeather,but it don't make or break the deal if I can't. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good