Author Topic: weaponized toys  (Read 11823 times)

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
Re: weaponized toys
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2016, 08:30:02 am »
My buddy and I took a Big Bertha model rocket and put wheels from a toy car on it.  We took the 4th fin off the rocket so it would sit flat on the ground.  We'd rob a fuse from a firecracker to ignite the rocket engines rather than the electrical fuses that you had to buy batteries for.  Our measurements weren't as precise as 12-year-olds, so the wheels weren't as square to the rocket as they shoulda been.  We also didn't estimate well enough the distance it would go horizontally.  The "Blue Flame" had a somewhat erratic launch but stabilized and caught a bit of air. 

Lessons learned...We probably shouldn't have launched in the apartment complex we lived in.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2016, 10:13:55 am »
Not a personal story but one an older friend would tell occasionally. He used to make model rocket engines out of the old Ohio Blue Tip strike anywhere matches, break off all the match heads and use a cardboard tube and very very very carefully use a dowel to crush the match heads into the tube and pack the powder down tight and then use a fuse to light it. Said they would go as high as any of the model rocket engines you could buy but says looking back on it he's shocked he never blew himself up doing that, lol.

Offline sleek

« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2016, 12:52:20 pm »
I was cooking up some powder to make some home made bamboo roman candles.  They are lots of fun. Well I thought I got it just a little too hot so I turned to get some water and just as soon as my face was clear of the pan on the hot plate it all went up. I only cooked a small amount at a time but still that flame scoreched my garage ceiling.  I almost lost my good looks that day.

Bamboo roman candles.... I cant recall the perfect mix ratio but I know 50/50 works by volume just not well.
Get stump remover. Check the ingredients.  It should be 99% potassium nitrate.  Grind it in a morter and pestel. Poor in a container and do the same with regular household sugar.  The finer the better. Then mix a small quantity in a non stick cooking pan and add water until its like mud. Powderize some charcoal and add until the mix has a dark grey color. ( I had experimented until I had proper ratios but its been years. )

Get a clear plastic face shield. WEAR IT!

Turn the hot plate on and heat it up and stir until the mix melts. It will have the consistency of melted plastic or drop biscuit dough.Thats when all the water is gone. Remove the pan from the plate and let cool until you can handle the still hot mix. Roll small balls of it in your palm. These will be the flame balls. Make them the diameter you want. Roll them until they are cool enough to not dent when set down. They will get rock hard when completely cool. Make as many as you like and store in a sealed container away from humidity,  they suck water out the air.
Make a nother dry powder mix but dont add water,  just mix with a stick. Light small quantities AWAY from everything else. Adjust the mixture until you have a good fast burn. Use this mix in your bamboo as the propellant. 

Get a stick of bamboo with nodes far apart as you want the candle to be long. Cut so only one node is present and make it the bottom.  Dont make the node flush with the cut. Leave enough stal at the bottom cut at an angle you can jam it in the ground to hold itself. Loosely tap about half an inch of powder in the bamboo. If you pack tight the burn slows too much. The drop one of the hard balls down and be ssure it hits the powder.  The should be a loos fit but a close one. Then pack about an 1/8 inch on top of that firmer but dont over doo it or you will compress the loose powder under the ball, this gives a slower burn to allow some time between ballshots.

On top of the packed powder angain pour anbout a half inch, maybe a bit more ( play with single ball cannons until you get a good launch, the diameter will make differences. ) Drop another ball. Repeat until about two inches from the top. Get cannon fuse, and insert on top of the last ball. Pack powder around it tightly. A hot " glue " ball thats still plastic makes a nice cap when molded tightly over it all leaving the long fuse sticking out. Seal with wax to stop moisure. Insert in the ground, ligh fuse and run like heck!

They work well and I havent blown one up yet...... but perhaps I will try. Another thing to try is go to Wal-Mart camping section. Get the stuff you throw in camp fires to change the colours of your camp flame. Incorporate that into your ball mix to add colour.

I had some powder mix left over and didnt know what to do. I made a bamboo cracker.. Loosly packed powder in a cut arrow shaft with a node at the top. Fuse it and cap with a meted ball. Make around three inches long. They bang decent.  I poured the rest into an old coconut i drank the water out of long ago and inserted a fuse. THAT WAS INTERESTING!
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2016, 03:29:16 pm »
Great Sleek, now we're all on a list...lol

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2016, 06:24:09 pm »

Slowly Pushes keyboard away, backs up and runs out the door.  >:D
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline DC

« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2016, 06:40:01 pm »
They're making drones really small now, and quiet :D :D

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2016, 08:18:16 pm »
When I was building my house I had a large rock that was in the way.  Back then you could buy dynamite fairly easily so I went and got a few sticks.  After I has taken care of the rock I still had a stick left over.  There was a big pile of rocks about 70 yards from where I was building so I took a 1/4 stick and set it down on the ground and then put a large flat rock that probably weighed around 100 lbs on top of the dynamite, aiming it away from my building site.  I lit the fuse and ran.  Behind my house there is a large swampy area that is about 200 yards across.  The rock took off went up about 100' and cleared the swamp
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline DC

« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2016, 10:33:41 pm »
When I was building my house we had to blow a few stumps. We stuffed some dynamite under one and I filled the hole with a rock about the size of a loaf of bread. Next day I got a call from the people that live about two hundred yards in front of me. There in their kitchen was a familiar looking rock. There was a hole in the tar and gravel roof and a hole in the ceiling almost directly under it. Cost me $1500(1977) to fix. I feel very lucky that there was no one home at the time and that there was no low flying aircraft in the area.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2016, 06:56:36 am »
I am now beginning to see how we all wound up here at PA  :)
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2016, 08:30:23 am »
...yeah, the ones that survived!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2016, 09:44:25 am »
Ha! I have done some crazy stuff for the enjoyment of a rush, entertainment, being able to tell the tale, obedience even(try living as the only American at an orphanage in India for half a year with radical Hindus everywhere lol), but DYNamite!!!!??! You guys are really crazy, explosions were never my cup of tea; I would be more likely next to mullet with a beer and a gator than even the fireworks madness

Offline sleek

« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2016, 10:47:03 am »
I gob $20 on whoever cat get a stick of lit tnt down the gators mouth. I will throw in a nice character stave if you can get into the boat before it goes off.

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2016, 11:14:12 am »

Slowly Pushes keyboard away, backs up and runs out the door.  >:D

Offline sleek

« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2016, 11:18:22 am »
Im dyin over here.... haha....

Honestly, governments arent ment to be trusted. Thats why there are militias and the entire bill of rights. 

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2016, 11:35:36 am »
Ha! I have done some crazy stuff for the enjoyment of a rush, entertainment, being able to tell the tale, obedience even(try living as the only American at an orphanage in India for half a year with radical Hindus everywhere lol), but DYNamite!!!!??! You guys are really crazy, explosions were never my cup of tea; I would be more likely next to mullet with a beer and a gator than even the fireworks madness

Don't count me out. I loaded Blast holes for a living for a while. I loved playing with Det Cord and 80% nitro. :)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?