Author Topic: Urgent question about lilac!  (Read 2397 times)

Offline penderbender

• island life...
Urgent question about lilac!
« on: June 25, 2016, 05:37:58 pm »
Hey guys, I just got two really nice pieces of lilac this morning. About 3 1/2" by 4 ' or so. Was just wondering about seasoning and whatnot. Should I take the bark off, split it, is the sapwood good? I have no experience with lilac. Any comments are appreciated.  Thanks - Brendan

Offline Josh B

Re: Urgent question about lilac!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 05:54:37 pm »
I have very limited experience with lilac.  Mostly because the first bunch of staves I cut tore themselves apart within a couple weeks of cutting them.  The one that didn't check into kindling is floor tillered and looking promising.  Time will tell.  What I did to get it that far along was peel the bark and wrap it in Saran wrap.  After about six weeks I started poking holes in the Saran wrap in intervals every few weeks to slowly let the moisture out.  I didn't come up with that technique, but it sure worked for me.  I think I read about somebody doing that with plum and tried it out.  That's about all I have for ya. Josh

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 06:07:32 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply Josh!  Much appreciated. I was afraid of that. But then again I have plum the same size but longer, with the bark on and ends sealed. And it hasn't checked or done anything funny yet. For six months now.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 07:00:33 pm by penderbender »

Offline Knotty

• Don't regret your past, learn from it.
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 06:08:32 pm »
Plum must be great wood to work with !
Never even heard of Lilac , but good luck!
~Isaia

Offline DuBois

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 06:10:43 pm »
Hey pb, I have seasoned a few lilac and also ruined a few; it sure does check badly.  I had a large diameter trunk about 5" wide and on that I left it bark on for a few weeks in a cool garage and then peeled bark, split, and sealed back with shellac.  It turned out ok. smaller branches I have done the same and even after a few weeks with ends sealed and bark on it is easy to peel this time of year. Once peeled and sealed I would put it in a tarp and wrap it up loosely to allow just a little air so it doesn't mold. Oh, and of course you will want to peek at it evwery other day just for the nice feeling when there is not a check yet  ;D
That's how I have had pretty good success.

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2016, 06:29:57 pm »
Thanks knotty! DuBois thanks that's good advice. You think I should split/saw these in two? Or just debark and seal? I figured if I at least split it to expose the pith it might not check as bad.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2016, 06:34:17 pm »
I would think you could split the thicker diameter one and let out some moisture that way. The other looks a little tougher so I don't think I would try it. Hope that helps. It is some pretty and dense wood and I was wondering if the older and larger branches don't seem just a little less dense or if I was just imagining it?

Offline Knotty

• Don't regret your past, learn from it.
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2016, 06:40:48 pm »
Wow that wood has a beatiful color!
~Isaia

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2016, 06:46:25 pm »
Yes I would just work down the smaller one. We will see for now it's sealed and has a garbage bag from each end slightly overlapping in the middle. Can't do much more with it today as its our anniversary so we are going out in about an hour and I gotta get dolled up haha thanks again guys! Anything else is appreciated. Cheers Brendan

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2016, 08:04:22 pm »
I would treat it like OS.

mikekeswick

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2016, 02:47:15 am »
Good advice given above. My experience of it is the same. I left one small piece to do its 'own thing' and it literally split itself in half.....make sure you seal them very well and don't expect to do anything with them for a good long while.

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2016, 10:38:33 am »
Thanks for all the input guys. Not planning on doing anything with it for a while. Just got it cause it was going to waste. It fell over at the school one day last week. Figured something like OS that's why I want to expose the pith. I think I'll split/debark/seal real good and sit it with all the others.

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2016, 10:55:36 am »
I've been experimenting with plastic bags. I get some plastic tubing from Industrial Plastics and Paints and put a few staves in it. I leave the ends open. It seems to slow the drying enough to help. I was closing it up tight until a little condensation built up and then I would air it out for a day, then close it up again. Got to be a little labour intensive so now I just leave the ends open a bit. Seems to help. I have dried a few OS whole with no checking. But just a few.

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2016, 11:12:23 am »
Hey DC do you debark before putting in the pipe? Do you think 4" pvc or abs would work? Thanks again - Brendan
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 11:55:44 am by penderbender »

Offline DC

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2016, 11:38:34 am »
I debark and shellac the backs and ends. At least two coats. I used to try and keep the bark on some OS but I found it was not if but when the bark popped. I only remove the bark where the finished back will be-ie. wide at the handle and tapering to the tips.