Author Topic: in need of some advice  (Read 3850 times)

Offline sailordad

in need of some advice
« on: February 27, 2008, 11:55:54 pm »
i have been working on this hickory stave for awhile now,all work has been done with a sureform and a rasp.this has taken awhile to get it looking and acting somewhat like a bow.I've been trying to do this with as little help as possible. it is 61 inches nock to nock, 1 7/8 inches wide at the fades, 5/8 inch wide at tips. it is finally floor tillered and now i need some help please. i think it is bending fairly decent right now but i dont want to mess up.
i will give a little more details on the stave.
both limbs start to twist opposite directions right after the fades(fairly slight but noticeable) and at about mid limb they come back to center(i think),the tiller string looks like it runs down center of the grip.one limb has a dip right after the fade,i have tried to keep even thickness here and has a fair amount of natural reflex(bend backwards) to it. the other has a fairly good size knot about midlimb and a cluster of pin knots on the back close to the edge four inches from the nock.i have tried to leave a little extra meat by the knots i will try to post some pics(not real good at that).
any advise would be very greatly appreciated.  thank you

sorry if these dont work or if there just links,my son usually does this picture posting for me.i am not real smart when it comes to this crap

PEACE
                                                                                              Tim
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 01:36:58 am by sailordad »
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: in need of some advice
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 12:06:14 am »
Tim....just go to the Bottom of your Post.....click additional options.....select Browse....search for the Pictures that you want to download....and ....click on them....it's that simple....just remember to find out where your pictures are on your Computer....so you know where to Browse for them....We really need pictures to help you out.....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 12:31:48 am »
i tried that already too.
no luck,sorry
i'll see if my son will do it when he gets home

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 01:14:15 am »
Your pics have to be 640x480 or less and less than 200kb.  Don't ask me what that means! ;D   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 01:41:36 am »
alright
please go back to my original post for the pics
my son came home and fixed what i f*@$&d up in my original post
so i beg of all you good people to please recheck for my pics and please give any advise or comments even if you just want to laugh at my ignorance(with the picture posting attempt,or the bow)
thank you

peace,
                                                                                         Tim

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 01:49:53 am »
Your bow is looking good so far. First, I would soak the knots with super glue. You probably don't have to but I do it anyway. ;D The twists aren't going to effect the tiller but you should view the bow from both sides to get a clear pic of the tiller. The whoop-t-doo will be a bit more problem to get it to bend correctly but if you take your time you should be OK. When you get near finish, take the tip width down to 3/8"...and keep the hickory dry!    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 09:58:08 am »
What Pat said,on the whop DE do ,be very careful ,it is real easy to think you are seeing something that you are not,easy to get a hinge there.You think it ant bending and it is.I use a straight edge on them ,except on the back instead of the belly ,just at the dip.  :) Looks like it is coming along nicely. :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline snedeker

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 11:01:06 am »
You might wantn to round off the edges on the limbs somewhat at this point.

Dave

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 11:43:28 am »
Looking good to me. Tiller is mostly trial and error for me - just stand back, pull it on the tree, make pencil marks where it needs to be scraped, eyeball it from both sides.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 02:03:14 am »
Snedeker: when you say to round the edges ,do you mean to just get rid of sharp corners. or to give somewhat of a "d" cross section so that the bow has a rounded belly?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 02:20:45 am »
I have heard it described as rounding the limb edges to the radius of a pea. If you leave sharp edges, there is a better chance of a splinter lifting. What I like to do is take 5 or 6 swipes with a scraper, at different angles along the limb edges. This will be less than the "radius of a pea" but it still removes the sharp edge.    Pat

Offline sailordad

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 02:25:07 am »
cool, i think i got the idea. just make it round enough so no splinters will lift.
first thing after work tomorrow it gets the pea treatment.

PEACE,
                                                                                           Tim