Author Topic: summer vs winter harvest of trees  (Read 2428 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

summer vs winter harvest of trees
« on: June 22, 2016, 08:12:23 am »
This weekend I'm going to take some time to touch up some ground blinds at the farm incase I get some time around classes to do some hunting. I got to thinking that while I already have the saw and axe over there ide might as well harvest some bow lumber. I prefer to harvest during winter the the sap is down and moisture content is lower. And it's much more comfortable working the crosscut and axe when colder out. The main trees in the area are black and honey locust, shag bark hickory, a variety of oaks, and a LOT of cedar. This place is not that far from home, only 15 minutes and I can go over there whenever I feel like. But while there with the necessary equipment, why not. So are any, or all of these worth harvesting this time of year. Or am I better off waiting until winter. And while I'm thinking about it. With cedar branches, is it the top or bottom of the limb that is best? Many of these cedar trees are large enough to have many worth while branches that are about 4-5 feet of no split offs and 3-4" diameter. Some are larger.

Im thinking about looking for a good hickory and some cedar. Maybe a honey locust too.

Thanks,
Kyle

Offline JonW

Re: summer vs winter harvest of trees
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 09:12:06 am »
Kyle there are pros and cons for either season. I have always said cut it when you can.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 09:17:17 am »
I have cut bow wood year round.  Like Jon said there are pros and cons with each season.  Summer cut wood tends to check more from what I've seen.  I try to leave the logs a little longer so I can trim the checked ends off after it dries out some.  Seal them up good and keep them out of the heat and sunlight the best that you can.  Post some pictures of your haul.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 09:30:59 am »
You want to mark the topside of the branches, and use that as your back. - cheers

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 10:36:29 am »
Cut when you have the chance. Whitewoods like hickory are better cut during the growing season because the bark will slip revealing a pristine back for a bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 10:43:48 am »
Good advice said here and I'll ask are you prepared to pull the bark & sapwood off of the locust immediately?If so seal the back and ends.I use shellac.Try to get it to dry slowly for the first 2 to 3 weeks.Less chance of checking bad.Good woods you are going to look at there.Show some pics when done.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 11:21:16 am »
Get some of that black locust! I love the stuff.
You'll want to remove the sapwood and seal the backs, but I have little issue with BL checking or warping in the summer. I'll admit, our summers here are not hot though

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 02:59:44 pm »
I just got 3 summer cut shagbark hickory staves 2 weeks ago it took me less the 20 min to get the bark off & sealed with the first coat of shellac ,I have a winter cut one that I have been working  on & off to get the bark off with a draw knief  with out damaging the back & probably will have to back that one ,My vote is for summer cut hickory.
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 09:22:03 pm »
Doesn't matter with the locusts because they are heartwoods functioning best with heartwood backs when possible.
The best time for whitewoods is during the growing season as removing the bark is easy.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 07:57:05 am »
Thanks everyone, sounds like I don't need to worry too much about the extra moisture from harvesting this time of year, with possible benefits.
I think I'll focus on th hickory and the other white woods right now, since I got a good haul early this spring of some very straight, knot free black locust. Coming up with about 20 staves or so. I love the wood and plan to harvest some more soon though. And I've been out of hickory for a good little while now. So I'll focus on a good hickory first and see where the day takes me, probably some cedar and maybe some paper birch to try it out if it's any good. There's some of it growing down in the ditch. Hopefully some honey as it has always intrigued me with its great colors. More than likely I'll do like I've done the last few times and be looking for specific species and end up taking home the first few that look awesome.

And if anyone has any of these species they would like to try, let me know and I'll see what I can come up with. I'm always open to trading some of them if someone either needs a decent stave or has a desire to try something different.

Kyle

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 04:33:06 am »
As many have said I cut when I can , but if I have a choice I cut white wood in the early to mid summer, just for bark removal reasons, Osage/Locust that I use mainly the heart wood it don't matter at all to me, I would rather cut it in the winter, just because it's cooler on me. ;) :) This should be prefect for Hickory. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Re: summer vs winter harvest of trees. Harvested a little hickory
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2016, 12:40:32 pm »
I got a little hickory cut this morning. It wasn't a large tree but using old equipment and getting hung up for each bucking cut and under bucking 90% of the cut sure made it more work than it should've been. But I still ended up with 9 staves and 4 bullets. They were all straight but have quite a few bumps and nipples all over them. They should make for some neat looking bow when cured. I will say, under bucking with a crosscut saw sure is a workout, but makes for some rewarding staves. I love how easy te bark comes off this time of year. If the bark sticks a little, throw the stave on the ground to shock loose the bark, then it just peels off in a sheet. I'll be trying to get some more staves across the summer. I'm hoping to have a good 30 by the end of summer.

Kyle

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2016, 12:52:14 pm »
That's a good looking haul  you will get some good bows out of that !  You can never have to much hickory !
If you fear failure you will never Try !