Author Topic: Cutting Down a Bow?  (Read 2509 times)

Marshrat

Cutting Down a Bow?
« on: February 27, 2008, 10:18:41 pm »
I know each piece of wood is differant but I have a 68" Bamboo backed Osage bow. I want to cut it down a one just to shorten it two to raise to weight. If I cut a two inch's off about how much weight will it increase? It is 55# now.   

Online Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Cutting Down a Bow?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 01:25:19 am »
Add new nocks an inch below the ones on the bow and find out. If not enough, add more below those. When you get to the weight you want, just cut the extra length off and re-shape the tips. Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 01:59:00 am »
By 2 inches do you mean 1" from each end?  If so about 63#.  If you take 2" from each end it will be about 71#.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 07:54:20 am »
Good idea Pat I never thought of that,I ant sure on a boo backed but usually I get a 3 lbs. per inch that is cut off,that is about what justin said but I figure a little more conservative you can always scrap a little weight off if need be.It may need a little tiller adjustment anyway. :)
   Pappy

Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

DCM

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 01:40:14 pm »
Shortening can effect the tiller, tending to stiffen the outer limbs.  Might be worth keeping in mind as you proceed, checking the tiller at shorter draw initially and adjusting if necessary so as not to overstress the bow.