Author Topic: Helical/offset  (Read 5866 times)

Offline DC

Helical/offset
« on: June 23, 2016, 07:08:26 pm »
I'm rebuilding my homemade fletching jig so I can do helical as well as straight and offset. I realised halfway through that I can vary the amount of helical as well as combine it with offset and have offset helical. I looked on all the jig sites and couldn't find how much helical is more or less standard. Offset seems to be around a sixteenth on an inch. Is helical more efficient than offset? Said another way does helical impart more spin than offset? I'm guessing that it's up to me to come up with how much of either to use. More spin for accuracy or more speed for a flatter trajectory. I guess helical would have to be measured in degrees per inch. Can you tell I'm floundering here :D Can anyone give me a little direction or advice?

I'm not really a good enough shot to be worrying about any of this but it's nice to speculate/dream ;D ;D

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Helical/offset
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 07:43:47 pm »
I really don't know DC I'm curious about what others say and of what you find out yourself. From my limited experience I suspect proper spine and tuning arrows to bow is more important for accuracy, speed probably the least amount of fletching you can get away with. But like I said I really don't know just giving you a reply.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Adam

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 09:47:33 pm »
I'll start by saying I've only done helical because that's what clamp came with the jig I have. What I do on my jig is set the angle so the whole base of the feather makes good contact with the shaft.  I found on the website of a well-known fletching company (I'm not sure I can say where or post a link, as I'm not sure if they're a sponsor) that the optimal positioning for a helical fletch is 1/16" offset from the front to the back of the feather, which is about 0.75 degrees.  These numbers are using a 5 inch feather.  I hope that helps.   

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 07:32:57 am »
Yes it will put more spin on the arrow, but that being said it also puts more drag and will slow the arrow a bit, if the arrow is well tuned to the bow their is really no need. I use to do a full helical all the time but not so much anymore, I just off set the a little up the shaft. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 09:19:00 am »
+1 what Pappy said.It is nice to see them spin for sure but it does slow the arrow down.Nice to hear them sizzle but it reduces speed too.Tuning that bare shaft is where it's all at.Feathers are there just to settle it quicker after leaving the bow and really if done right don't need to be much.Straight fletch off set just a little is really all that's needed.Arrows can be a pain and studious for sure but worth it if shooting wood.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 09:33:23 am »
A straight fletched shaft will spin due to the texture of the feather. I use straight fletch with a slight offset, either left or right because I have a JoJan Multi-Fletch with straight feather clamps. I've used it for many years and never saw the need for helical clamps.
 Like most others things there is give and take with fletching. Add one thing and it takes away from another. IMO it is best to figure what works best for you and stick with it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 01:00:48 pm »
It sounds like I'm wasting my time with the helical clamps but I've got the right hand made I might as well continue on. It's been a fun project. I used the JoJan at a Ravenbeak Workshop and saw where I could steal a couple of ideas for my jig. Two days of cutting, sanding and glueing to make one clamp. The fletching has just been rough trimmed in the picture.

Offline Adam

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 07:01:15 pm »
That looks like that'll do the trick! Very nice!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2016, 07:08:13 pm »
Those look good DC. Don't know about waste of time I'm sure there are applications they would be advantageous. Just probably not only step for accuracy.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 09:33:06 pm »
That's some clever jig work, DC. Remember seeing your 1st fletching jig and thinking same thing. Congrats!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 10:09:37 pm »
That's some clever jig work, DC. Remember seeing your 1st fletching jig and thinking same thing. Congrats!

Thanks Knoll. It's all in who you steal the ideas from ;D ;D ;D

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2016, 07:32:40 am »
That is quite a clever jig you made there and the time you put into it.Kuddos to ya.Seems as though a lot of our time is spent making arrows if a person shoots a lot in an uncontrolled enviornment like stump shooting etc. opposed to an archery range.Arrows are lost or broke.
I know I've annoyed my friends looking for an arrow for quite some time because I've put 1.5 hours into making it and it shoots just right.....lol.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2016, 10:56:48 am »
I haven't taken up stump shooting for that reason. Around here the undergrowth is so thick that I can almost guarantee that a miss is a lost arrow. And I miss a lot :-[ :-[ :-[

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2016, 11:03:40 am »
+1 what Beadman said I'm sure it takes me longer to make a dozen good shooting arrows than a bow. I enjoy it though and you do have a nice looking fletching jig there DC.

Offline DC

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2016, 11:53:15 am »
Thanks for the compliments guys. I think you have to be in the right frame of mind to make arrows. I made a dozen at the workshop the other day and that was a few too many. Three or maybe five is enough.