Author Topic: My board bow (build along?)  (Read 86503 times)

Offline Marin

Re: My board bow (build along?)
« Reply #90 on: August 07, 2016, 12:54:08 am »
So my fade work is fine? Bubby, so I'm going to be able to work more on the fades as I thin the limbs down? And ajooter, a roundness in my fades is natural when using a rounded rasp?

Offline Marin

« Reply #91 on: August 12, 2016, 02:43:49 pm »
Finished rasping the belly taper. I got as close to the line as possible without rasping it off. The belly feels pretty even but looking at it closely I can see some unevenness and it appears to be slightly rounded from my rasping job.  I hope this can be fixed when I floor tiller and do the final tillering.
I do have a question. At this stage I would trap the back but I heard someone say that trapping the back causes the bow to loose 3 lbs. Is this true? Should I still trap the back even though my bow will loose draw weight? However, if I trap the back, can I attempt a higher draw weight?

Offline DesertDisciple

• Arise, for it is your task, and we are with you
« Reply #92 on: August 19, 2016, 10:00:40 am »
Marin, have you had a chance to floor tiller yet? You wouldn't need to trap the back until you are close to done with final tillering. If you absolutely want to make weight then just aim for slightly heavier than you want and trap the back when you within 6-8 inches of your draw length. Then check tiller and shoot it in.

Don't worry about trapping yet. Get her bending.
Best Regards,

Andrew

Offline Marin

« Reply #93 on: September 05, 2016, 03:16:10 pm »
Haven't had time these past couple of weeks to work on it.
Finally have some time today. I am currently floor tillering the bow.
The bow is bending when I put the one limb on the ground against my foot and bend it towards me but it still feels a little stiff. How do I know what is "enough" floor tillering? By that I mean how do I know when I should stop floor tillering and begin final tillering?

Offline Marin

« Reply #94 on: September 05, 2016, 03:48:02 pm »
Anyone know if besides Dacron b50 there are other bowstring materials i could use instead? I have some 1000% polyester thread for serving machines so i'm wondering if that could be used, as dacron is polyester?

Offline loon

« Reply #95 on: September 05, 2016, 04:27:19 pm »
I don't see why not - dacron is polyester. when in doubt just make it thick. even if it's braided it should be fine

Adam Karpowicz mentions using copper wire as a tillering string... anything stiff enough should work. Any natural fiber, or any synthetic fiber other than nylon that's no stretchier than polyester I guess

If your bow is heavy, it will feel very stiff. Even if it's straight, 70lbs feels very stiff for me to string. You probably don't want it to be too easy to bend at floor tiller or you'd end up underweight after tillering. Just don't break it or something.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 04:30:37 pm by loon »

Offline Marin

« Reply #96 on: September 05, 2016, 04:56:55 pm »
Well, just got in from floor tillering. I decided to rasp my belly taper line off and now the thing is a bit easier to bend. It still is stiff but I heard that's good so hopefully I didn't remove too much  :-\
I'm including some pics of my limb. If anythings  wrong please tell me.now I am going to cut the nocks, make a long tillering string, and try to figure how I'm going to tiller. In wondering if I should use a tillering device or, to save time, try to use a mirror. Anyone have suggestions?

Offline Marin

« Reply #97 on: September 05, 2016, 05:08:23 pm »
Here's some pics. The first two is the lb being floor tilllered and the last one is the limb and how it looks from the top view.

Offline Marin

« Reply #98 on: September 05, 2016, 05:12:56 pm »
Here's a pic of something bad I found. My glued on handle has a gap. I haven't seen it till now and I don't know how it developed. Anybody know what I should do to fix it?

Offline Marin

« Reply #99 on: September 05, 2016, 06:12:23 pm »
Guys, I was about to use some 100% polyester thread and to test it out I tired to break it with my hands. It broke  >:(
I heard it is the number of strands that controls the strength of bow string. If I use enough strands, could it make a good bow string or should I just not use it at all?

Offline bubby

« Reply #100 on: September 05, 2016, 07:55:17 pm »
Marin how long is your bow I'll make you a string for it
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline loon

« Reply #101 on: September 05, 2016, 08:33:56 pm »
i'm a beginner too and was wondering if it's a good idea to wrap a glued-on handle tightly with strong thread or sinew to prevent it from popping off?

for a tillering long string, that stuff may be okay but it seems like you'd have to make it very thick - it'd be a very poor bowstring

try hanging weights from it until it breaks to find around what the breaking strength of each strand is. make it so the breaking strength is something like 250lbs
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 08:44:12 pm by loon »

Offline DC

« Reply #102 on: September 05, 2016, 08:43:12 pm »
Anyone know if besides Dacron b50 there are other bowstring materials i could use instead? I have some 1000% polyester thread for serving machines so i'm wondering if that could be used, as dacron is polyester?

Spectra fishing line works. Dyneema,Spiderwire, one of those.

Offline Marin

« Reply #103 on: September 07, 2016, 10:59:52 am »
Bubby,
I Sent you a personal message concerning that offer.

Offline Marin

« Reply #104 on: September 08, 2016, 01:00:49 pm »
I'm about to make tillering gizmo. I think I'll just make one without a pulley (a tillering stick). Does anyone think I should do a different design?