Author Topic: My board bow (build along?)  (Read 84968 times)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Re: My board bow (build along?)
« Reply #330 on: April 11, 2017, 12:36:25 am »
Have you decided on a plan to get from where ya are to where ya want to be?
?? @ 22"
?? @ 24"
?? @ 26
45 @ 28
If so, then good and just need to achieve plan.
 (-P
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Marin

« Reply #331 on: April 11, 2017, 01:45:52 am »
Okay, I'll do that hopefully tomorrow. There's a small stiff spot my gizmo detected that I need to get out first.
Sorry knoll, I haven't developed a plan like that. I was just going to follow bubby's advice of getting it down in weight now and then working up to 28"

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #332 on: April 11, 2017, 12:16:52 pm »
I Agree with Bubby. I'd start shooting at a shorter draw seeing how it feels and working slowly up to almost full draw. Sanding depending on how many tool marks you have will usually take a couple lbs off too. Time to see what she'll do. Can't wait to see that big chezzy grin.😁
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #333 on: April 11, 2017, 02:12:46 pm »
Yep.  Time to see if that stick wants to be a bow!
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Marin

« Reply #334 on: April 11, 2017, 10:20:03 pm »
Brace height is measured from the handle to the the string right?
I'm bracing mine at 6" which I assume is proper.

Offline Marin

« Reply #335 on: April 11, 2017, 10:55:33 pm »
Oh and I did more tillering today. I checked the weight and it's still at 22.5 - 23lbs at 20". The tiller looks pretty good and I checked with the gizmo. I shot an arrow out of it but unfortunately it was too dark to get a good picture.
I did get a picture of the final tiller (hopefully)

Offline Marin

« Reply #336 on: April 13, 2017, 10:36:04 pm »
Well I shot it today about 30 times at 20". I measured 20" on the arrow. I strung it at a 6" brace. It shoots pretty good so far (though I am a beginner bowyer so what do I know  ;))
I've attached a picture. Please excuse my subpar archery posture and my dorky appearance,  :)
It was getting late so the photo may be too dark. If so, I'll get one tommorow earlier.

Offline Marin

« Reply #337 on: April 13, 2017, 10:39:41 pm »
Hubby's probably going to ask this so I should probably mention now: the arrows are blunted with some plumbers tape (it's removable) as a precaution as my backyard is quite small.
That would effect the flight of the arrow, so I will only be able to get an accurate assessment of arrow flight when I take it to the range, or shoot it secretly at night  ;)

Offline Marin

« Reply #338 on: April 13, 2017, 10:41:58 pm »
Probably should explain the glove too. The bow doesn't have an arrow rest yet so it kind of hurts when the fletching goes off my hand. I'm going to add a floppy one at the end.
Do you guys wear a glove when shooting a bow with no arrow rest?

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #339 on: April 13, 2017, 10:42:21 pm »
A bit too dark for these old eyes> Look forward to another pic in daylight.   (-P
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Marin

« Reply #340 on: April 13, 2017, 11:34:19 pm »
Sorry, :(

Offline Marin

« Reply #341 on: April 14, 2017, 12:00:07 am »
Prob lay should ask this, but when I move up to 21" to shoot, do I still exercise the limbs or is the act of shooting the bow exercising?

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #342 on: April 14, 2017, 06:39:28 am »
Marin great to see you shooting her in.  I always exercise the limbs a bit when I first sting my bows to "warm them up" as said picture is a bit dark but it looks to me as though you have you arrow notched quite low. It appears to be throwing your  tiller off. I would try moving the arrow up the string a bit.
Shooting off the hand it's nice to have stripped fletching with wrapped quills front and back. Fletching that way I don't even feel arrow at all. Good work young man on sticking with that one, hopefully many more to come.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bubby

« Reply #343 on: April 14, 2017, 10:10:31 am »
The problem is the arrow is nocked to low, those feathers are wrapped on the fore end bj. You want the arrow noced a little above 90 deg from the string Sean find that spot and wrap a pc of tape on the string till you find the right spot, then tie some string on and add a drop of super glue
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bubby

« Reply #344 on: April 14, 2017, 10:11:29 am »
You should be able to find a video on you tube to help with the nock point
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹