Author Topic: My board bow (build along?)  (Read 86532 times)

Offline Springbuck

Re: My board bow (build along?)
« Reply #240 on: March 17, 2017, 09:56:54 am »
But, clearly it is a pyramid bow.....

Offline Marin

« Reply #241 on: March 17, 2017, 08:28:03 pm »
I did some more tillering today. I did two passes with a rasp on the stiff limb and some scraping. I now thin it's ready to brace. The gizmo is showing they are roughly even though I thought I heard it touch the limb. I guess it wasn't stiff enough because It didn't leave a mark.
The reason it's got an elliptical tiller is probably because the gizmo doesn't reach up to wihin 3 inches of te fades, so I haven't been working on the inner limb. I scraped that area today though but it's not bending enough for one to tell if there's a difference.

Offline Marin

« Reply #242 on: March 17, 2017, 08:37:12 pm »
Here's my progress. Like I said the gizmo isn't picking up spots.
Im going to brace it tonight

Offline bubby

« Reply #243 on: March 17, 2017, 08:50:28 pm »
That's why i said the fades were stiff but better to work that area last than get too much bend there right off the bat😉
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Marin

« Reply #244 on: March 18, 2017, 01:07:03 am »
Well just string it.
I'm attaching photos.
I consulted youtube and "The Bent Stick" to learn about he push pull method. I used one that is more similar to the one used in TBS as described by Comostock by planning the lower limb on the outside of my left foot and pulling the handle with my right hand and pushing the upper limb with my left. I'm am curious though, I kind of used my leg to help push the center portion of the bow. Is that dangerous for the bow?
Well here's some photos
I just attached a photo of the nock just to make sure it looks right as something looked not exactly right with the string in it, almost as if it wasn't deep enough but maybe I'm be I too cautious.

Offline Marin

« Reply #245 on: March 18, 2017, 11:54:37 am »
I tried practicing stringing the bow last night and I've noticed it is very hard for me to do. I found it easiest to push the handle with my left, push the upper limb with my right, and place the lower limb agais to outside of my left foot. When I try pushing the handle with my right and pulling the upper limb with my left, as TBS describes, I can't seem to do it. Even worse is when I tired to do it, the bow limb slipped out of my hand and slapped me on my head. Now maybe I'm just much more weaker than I thought but should the bow still be this hard to string at this point?

Offline bubby

« Reply #246 on: March 18, 2017, 12:36:48 pm »
As long as you put even pressure on the limbs whatever works, and as you aren't clost to full draw it will be a little hard to string at first, can we get a braced pic with nothing behind the bow?

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #247 on: March 18, 2017, 01:56:28 pm »
Yeah, limbs at this point are bit stiff for me also. Keep the eyes out of the way of wayward limbs!
I use a bow stringer until later in tillering process.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline DC

« Reply #248 on: March 18, 2017, 05:49:24 pm »
Google "bow stringing push pull" This is the first one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDJPgUN5XqE.

Offline Marin

« Reply #249 on: March 18, 2017, 10:15:25 pm »
Thanks dc but I already watched that one. I tried using this form of the push pull method but right now my bow is very stiff so it's harder to do it this way.

Offline Marin

« Reply #250 on: March 18, 2017, 10:20:58 pm »
Well another day of tillering, now with short string.
I first used my scale to determine where my bow was at 25 lbs and I found it to still be at 14". Then I used my tool to mark stiff spots but I also worked at shaving  down the spot closest to the fades that was not marked with the gizmo. I soon found that I was beginning to get a circular tiller and when I fi dined for the day, one of limbs had a circular tiller.
I braced it at about a 3-4" brace (I measured from handle to string. That's the correct way right ?) I've attached photos of before today's tillering braced and after today's tillering brace. 

Offline Marin

« Reply #251 on: March 18, 2017, 10:21:50 pm »
Here's the picture of it braced after today's tillering.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #252 on: March 18, 2017, 10:51:52 pm »
You got a nice braced profile going there Marlin. Before you know it you'll be shooting that one.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bubby

« Reply #253 on: March 18, 2017, 11:23:35 pm »
You need to get the limb on the left caught up with the right, right is looking pretty good but if you let it get too far ahead of the other you will have problems evening them up. Always try to keep the tiller even as you go

Offline Marin

« Reply #254 on: March 19, 2017, 01:06:08 am »
I noticed the limbs were not. Notching but I thoght the left limb was better than the right. The left limb has the more round tiller while the right still is quite stiff near the handle. Am I looking at it wrong the way?