Author Topic: My board bow (build along?)  (Read 85040 times)

Offline Marin

Re: My board bow (build along?)
« Reply #165 on: January 17, 2017, 10:18:16 pm »
Good.
Also, about a scraper, what kind of flat scraper could I get? Might a sureform rasp work or is there anything better you guys use?

Offline bubby

« Reply #166 on: January 17, 2017, 11:16:10 pm »
For the longest time i used a 6 inch lockback knife. But a,paint scraper will work
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Marin

« Reply #167 on: January 17, 2017, 11:26:45 pm »
Really? I didn't know that. I'll have to try it.

Offline Marin

« Reply #168 on: January 17, 2017, 11:29:53 pm »
Oh yeah, also since I'm going to be pulling he bow to longer draw lengths, I want to know if my nocks won't let the string slip. I sanded them more on Monday and the sting is staying in much better but how can you tell if they're deep enough?

Offline bubby

« Reply #169 on: January 17, 2017, 11:56:49 pm »
The string will stay in😂 the string should sit at leaat flush with the outside

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #170 on: January 18, 2017, 03:01:31 pm »
Flat card scrappers are avalible at most wood working stores they work well , also you can use different grits sand paper glued to flat boards to smooth limbs , I pick up old paint scrapers at good will for $2  theres a lot of cheap options for doing it
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #171 on: January 20, 2017, 11:20:51 am »
 I have like 20 scrapers running around and I end up using most or all of them, just, whenever....card, or cabinet scrapers work well.  I have some utility knife blades hafted with JB Weld, repurposed spring steel putty knife, an old jointer blade, couple old pocket knives, etc...But, a $4.00 pair of scissors will give you two good scrapers that are easy to sharpen.

Offline Marin

« Reply #172 on: January 21, 2017, 07:00:51 pm »
Okay so it's raining today  >:( but I decided just to pull he bow in the stick to 25 lbs as you guys suggested and then run my little gizmo along both limbs. I took pictures and was trying to look at the limbs and get better at determining imperfections without the gizmo. Looking at first before I ran the gizmo I noticed that one limb (the left) has what appears to be a hinge. I took pics and canted turbine though when I ran the gizmo along the limb, the gap between the block and the limb got wider.
Am I right or is it just that the right limb is stiffer than the left and the left is bending properly? Also, if it is a hinge, I relieve it by sanding/scraping on either sides of it right?

Offline Marin

« Reply #173 on: January 21, 2017, 07:02:00 pm »
Here's the first photo

Offline Marin

« Reply #174 on: January 21, 2017, 07:04:09 pm »
The last two. Notice the left limb and how it bends more. I don't know if this is just because the right limb is stiffer than the left limb.

Offline Marin

« Reply #175 on: January 21, 2017, 07:30:58 pm »
Oh yeah,calls, when talking about using a scraper/knife/scissors, you use it by holding the blade perpendicular to the limb and scraping, not like how you would use a pocket knife to whittle?

Offline Marin

« Reply #176 on: January 21, 2017, 07:43:38 pm »
Just in case, I checked in the tillering stick my bow and made sure to pay attention to the gap space between the gizmo and the bow. The right limb, overall, appears to have less room between the gizmo and the limb while the left limb, overall, has much wider space between it and the gizmo. Is this because I am right about the left limb's hinge or is it because the right limb is just stiffer?

Offline bubby

« Reply #177 on: January 21, 2017, 07:47:42 pm »
With the gizmo you find the widest spot, set the pencil so that it almost touches in that spot then move it back and forth. Remove wood where the marks are and only where the marks are. Yes use the sissors as a scraper

Offline Marin

« Reply #178 on: January 21, 2017, 08:45:31 pm »
Oh, I see!

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #179 on: January 21, 2017, 09:02:21 pm »
With the gizmo you find the widest spot, set the pencil so that it almost touches in that spot then move it back and forth. Remove wood where the marks are and only where the marks are. Yes use the sissors as a scraper

Bub, you're truly one of the GOOD GUYS!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857