Author Topic: My board bow (build along?)  (Read 85037 times)

Offline Marin

Re: My board bow (build along?)
« Reply #135 on: January 06, 2017, 12:21:29 am »
another thing,
My tillering gizmo doesn't reach down to the tips nor does it reach the areas close to the fades. I haven't been shaving these down. Is that fine? I heard stiff tipped bows are very good so I thought it might be a good idea to not shave down the tips.

Offline Marin

« Reply #136 on: January 06, 2017, 05:49:29 pm »
Does anyone know the answer to my questions? And anyone think my tillering is bad?

Offline bubby

« Reply #137 on: January 06, 2017, 06:15:36 pm »
You need ro get it bending more to get any advice the pics don't show much tip movement. Just keep soing what you are doing
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #138 on: January 06, 2017, 08:34:42 pm »
No, tillering is not bad, and you are right to go slowly, never overstraining the work.  But the pics are small and it's hard to see much happening at only a couple inches of tip movement.

Offline Marin

« Reply #139 on: January 07, 2017, 02:12:30 am »
Is there a way I can use bigger photos? The posts only allow for a certain data size that only that only the Small photos can fit.

Offline bubby

« Reply #140 on: January 07, 2017, 09:55:38 am »
I upload my pics to photobucket it's a free storage site that auto sizes the pics

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #141 on: January 09, 2017, 06:48:12 am »
I take my pics full size with my camera and size them with IrfanView. It is free, just google it and downoad. It has a button to size pics for the desktop and it always works for me. I am enjoying this thread.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #142 on: January 09, 2017, 12:57:41 pm »
I upload my pics to photobucket it's a free storage site that auto sizes the pics

+1.
I copy path/filename in Photobucket to my clipboard. Then use [Insert Image] icon here in PA and paste path/filename between the brackets where wanna locate pic in PA post. Image size will auto be sized appropriately.

... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Marin

« Reply #143 on: January 16, 2017, 08:59:49 pm »
Well, just got back in from another couple of hours of tillering, just wanted to tell you guys so you don't think I gave up.
I'm getting better at my strokes with my rasp and it seems the tillering gizmo isn't picking up any hinges right now, though I m still at the same draw length as I was last week. However, the gizmo is now only marking the entire limb. I can't tell if that means that I'm ready to move onto the next draw length or just keep on shaving the limbs because they're still stiff. Should I move on? I do not think it is marking the entire length because the pencil is sticking out to much as it is only sticking out of the gizmo about 1/8" although the pencil was out slightly longer than before but not by much.
Also, I've noticed that with the rasp, the belly of the bow can become uneven. I think this problem is starting to go away as I tiller more but how can I prevent this problem?

Offline bubby

« Reply #144 on: January 16, 2017, 09:28:17 pm »
Start using a scraper instead of the rasp

Offline DC

« Reply #145 on: January 16, 2017, 09:33:01 pm »
And use it a varying angles. Down the length, across the width and everything in between. You soon see it flatten out ;)

Offline Marin

« Reply #146 on: January 16, 2017, 10:07:52 pm »
And what about what I found with my tillering gizmo? Does it mean it's time to move to,the best draw weight or that I just keep shaving the limb down because it's too stiff?

Offline bubby

« Reply #147 on: January 16, 2017, 10:38:09 pm »
If your draw weight is supposed to be 50# pull it till it hits 50 and check it there

Offline Marin

« Reply #148 on: January 16, 2017, 11:46:58 pm »
Thanks.  I was a little confused with long string tillering as to what point you pull the bow to.
For future reference, so whenever tillering, whether it be long string, short brace, or normal brace, you always pull he bow to its desired draw weight and check the bend?

Offline bubby

« Reply #149 on: January 17, 2017, 01:13:16 am »
Well don't pull it past the target weight, once it is bending about8" brace it to 3" if the limbs are bending evenly