Author Topic: Nice find  (Read 3020 times)

Offline DC

Nice find
« on: July 05, 2016, 02:10:09 pm »
Walked out of my shop and found this laying in the driveway. Not very often I can get three 4" fletch from one feather. Bald Eagle so good mojo too. That's a 16" ruler.

Offline penderbender

• island life...
Re: Nice find
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 03:44:15 pm »
Nice find Don! To fletch an arrow with one feather is awesome.

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 04:33:44 pm »
Is is legal to use an eagle feather, even if it is found one?  I think I remember hearing that you could get in trouble for that.  Not sure - but I bet someone else will reply with a more definitive response soon. 

Russ

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 04:45:13 pm »
It's big time trouble in the U.S.  I'm not sure what the rules are in Canada. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 04:52:11 pm »
Technically it is illegal but I had a talk with the Canadian equivalent of a game warden and he said they are not going to pursue one or two feathers. If they find you with a wing, that's a different story. It was kind of refreshing to get a little common sense. 

Offline le0n

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 05:10:00 pm »
^^ neat find.

Is is legal to use an eagle feather, even if it is found one?  I think I remember hearing that you could get in trouble for that.  Not sure - but I bet someone else will reply with a more definitive response soon. 

Russ

yep. there's no proof that you did not harm the bird to get that feather. it's best just to leave it where you found it.

wiki links:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Migratory_Bird_Treaty_Act_of_1918
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Migratory_Birds_Convention_Act

Offline Knotty

• Don't regret your past, learn from it.
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 06:00:50 pm »
Wow ! That's impressive! Nice find.
Well , if you fletch an arrow, who's gonna notice it's an Eagle feather?
~Isaia

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2016, 12:45:37 am »
You can easily tell a molted feather from a healthy plucked one. At least until you turn it into a fletching. In a healthy plucked feather the quill will have blood in the last inch or two of the end that enters the skin. I can understand them not wanting you to gather molted feather though. The best place to look is around nesting sites and agitating nesting raptors puts to much stress on already stressed birds. They really should be removed from the endangered species list though. The numbers are exploding and show no signs of slowing. I heard the native americans from my area considered turkey buzzard feathers one of the better feathers for fletchings. I think those are still on the raptor list though. Any feathers from birds on that list have a ridiculous fine attached to it, unless your native american.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2016, 09:08:03 am »
Its not just endangered birds. All non-game native bird feathers are protected in the US.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2016, 04:10:13 am »
That's the plumage protection act. I forgot about that one. We have the fashion industry to fault for that one. Pretty sure that bit of legislation even came before the raptor laws. It actually seems a bit out dated with current fashion trends and their catch phrases(cruelty free, fur is murder, etc). Most of the feathers still in demand are being supplied by farm raised birds sometimes without having to kill them. Killing animals in the name of vanity just isn't trendy any more, go figure.

Meanwhile throughout the well to do neighborhoods across america, raccoons tip over trash cans, skunks spray pets, and beavers flood the expensive river front properties. I say wear fur and help protect your property. :laugh:
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna