Author Topic: Color change in buckthorn with gloss poly  (Read 1446 times)

Offline GB

Color change in buckthorn with gloss poly
« on: June 24, 2016, 05:27:16 pm »
I brushed on gloss polyurethane to seal this buckthorn stave a few weeks ago and it's had a dramatic color change.  I really like it, but I'm wondering how and why it turned out this way.  Just a reaction from the chemicals in the poly?  The other staves I sealed with shellac have the uniform amber tint, with none of the red and gray like this one.
This is the sapwood.  Peeled the bark off and sealed it.

Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline wizardgoat

Re: Color change in buckthorn with gloss poly
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 05:42:37 pm »
Cool. I have a stave of this stuff, it's really pretty wood

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 10:54:39 pm »
Not sure what you have going on there to get the different colors but I've seen a fair amount of variation in different staves of the buckthorn I have here. One thing I have noticed is If I let one season for months with the bark on the sapwood will be dark and have variations in the color along the surface after I remove the bark. If I strip the bark off a stave just after cutting the tree and then seal it right away it will usually just remain a typical white sapwood color.
Also though I'll mention that I've had some issues with sapwood rot on some staves that season with the bark on which has caused some tension failure at the backs. Because of that I've been stripping the bark and sealing the backs right from the start recently on my buckthorn. None of this probably applies to what you have going on with yours, just thinking aloud I guess. :)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline GB

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 12:12:46 am »
I peeled the bark off this one and sealed it right away.  I remember Cody saying the same thing about the sapwood breaking down over time if it seasoned with the bark on.  It is possible that this one took in some sunlight from one of my basement windows.  The ones I shellacked didn't.  Oh well, it's a mystery. ::)
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 06:15:57 am »
That is really pretty colors. I'm really not sure what Buckthorn is. I've been wondering about what we call Thorn Apple. It has a bark very similar to Hop Hornbeam loves to grow in fence rows where it grows short and I gnarly has very sharp 2-3" thorns and little round fruits. In our woods it grows quite straight and tall. Is this the same tree?
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2016, 07:41:07 am »
 They are  different trees.  Thornapple is also called Hawthorn.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2016, 10:59:22 am »
I noticed that Pat when I looked them up on e-net. Do you know if thorn Apple would make good bow wood? Sorry GB I should probably start deferent thread for this.

Offline PatM

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2016, 11:09:18 am »
I've never had access to a decent piece but it is very highly regarded by those who have.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2016, 11:09:59 am »
I'm sure it would BJ. Most all fruit/mast trees are.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2016, 11:13:46 am »
Thank Pearl it always seems like some springy stuff might have to get the heavy leather gloves I hate getting them thorns stuck in hand takes forever for that to get right again