Author Topic: Purpleheart wood!?  (Read 10854 times)

Offline Knotty

• Don't regret your past, learn from it.
Re: Purpleheart wood!?
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2016, 12:56:42 pm »
Alrighty! Thanks for the info @OneBowWonder !
~Isaia

Offline DC

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2016, 01:27:36 pm »
There ya go! Leave it as a shovel handle. I footed two arrows with it. One of them broke but I don't know that I could blame the wood.

Offline PatM

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2016, 01:31:15 pm »
You live in Brazil, a well known source for Ipe. Why are you looking at anything else?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2016, 01:56:55 pm »
Ipe is in the Amazon and not cheap to buy. He lives farther south. There is another Ipe that does grow where you are at, Isaia. It has purple or yellow flowers. We call it Tababui in Florida, I have a forth footer in my front yard. Brazilians called it Ipe when I was down there. Another tree worth trying is a mango or avocado.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Knotty

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2016, 02:30:45 pm »
Eddie I'll have good access to Mango , not sure about Avocado I'll have to see.
It's probably full of Mango trees in the woods , I'll surely cut one with my uncle.

About the Ipe, the one that makes purple flowers is the best, but hard to find around here, it's easier to find in the northern part of Minas Gerais  near Belo Horizonte etc..
But as soon as I go hunting I'll probably cut a few different types of trees to test on.

Thanks for the advices everyone!

~Isaia

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2016, 04:20:06 pm »
I grew up in the Philippines, which has a similar climate and environment to much of Brazil.  I'm not certain that it is the same variety, but there was much Guava wood in the Philippines.  This wood was used in bow building and has a reputation for being an excellent bow wood.  I have never had the opportunity to use it yet though personally.

Also, though not native to Brazil, I know that there is both Breadfruit and Jackfruit trees planted there long ago. Both of these trees are cousins to Osage.  I'm not at all certain as to the quality of the woods of these trees, ...but being as they are cousins of the Osage, (King of all Bow Woods), someone should try them out...  :)

OneBow

Offline Knotty

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2016, 04:47:08 pm »
I agree , Guava is easy to find here, the hard part is finding straight not twisted staves.
Breadfruit trees, I saw a couple of them around here, I should be able to find them in the woods, we'll see!
~Isaia

Offline Hamish

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2016, 08:38:54 pm »
Its pretty much all been said, about the difficulties of purpleheart, and its pretty true. Murder on tools, not great in either tension or compression despite having a high density. The ones that I have seen work successfully were wide, flat limbed, even up to 3" for a pyramid bow. Backing of ash, maple, or thin hickory.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2016, 09:39:40 pm »
I sent you a PM. I'd try the purple
heart if it's cheap. It is like Brazil's hickory. These guys are turning into wood snobs, ::), I'd try what you have. That's what Manny did when he made a bow out of Guava. And the guava bow I traded for was full of Chrysals.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bubby

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2016, 11:47:15 pm »
 Just to show it can be done this is my wifes bow, maple and purpleheart, still in one piece after 2 years though she doesn't shoot much. Light weight pyramid bow
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

mikekeswick

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2016, 02:38:18 am »
Funny how I managed to make a bow with it....a hickory backed elb 53#@28 and no extra set/weight....that is still shooting about 5 years later?? But then again it's just junk eh......Maybe if you don't understand what you are working with it might not work out??
Knotty - It may not be as easy to make a bow out of as osage but a functional bow is entirely plausible.
I would follow the design that Bubby has used above. A pyramid bow with a trapped backing. Thick rawhide would be a good backing. Cut up the slit at an angle to give yourself a thicker section at the other end. Use only the straightest grain.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2016, 06:32:04 am »
Read his original post, then spill your infinite wisdom upon us.

You could have stayed away and made a lot of people happy.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2016, 09:01:08 am »
Wow, Bub, . . . . . your grass looks alot more green than mine!!   :o
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Knotty

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2016, 10:52:02 am »
Guys , no need to argue, I'll try it anyway , and I'll follow the Pyramid design (If I have enough Width to do that)
Probably backed with boo. (Which I have easier access to).

@Bubby that bow looks beautiful,  may I ask you what the limb thickness on that is, and what draw weight it came out with?

Thanks everyone!
~Isaia

Offline bubby

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2016, 10:55:09 am »
Knotty i think it is around 1-1/2" wide but it was a short draw low poundage bow. Only around 25#@ 26" if i remember
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹