Author Topic: Purpleheart wood!?  (Read 10853 times)

Offline Knotty

• Don't regret your past, learn from it.
Purpleheart wood!?
« on: June 21, 2016, 11:44:21 am »
Hey everyone!
I found a place nearby that sells Purpleheart handles for a few types of tools ,
I've seen a couple selfbows made out of 100% purpleheart and I was wondering if it is usable ,
And the amounts of tension and compression it can take.

Since it's not a board I'm not really able to see the grain..
How would you deal with a handle to make a bow out of?
Flatten it?

Let me know !

Thank you all in advance 😉👍
~Isaia

Offline Knotty

Re: Purpleheart wood!?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 11:48:20 am »
And they have a cut like this on one of the ends
http://www.dimedistribuidora.com.br/pagina/produtos/fotos_produtos/images/000013098.JPG

I hope that's not a problem?
~Isaia

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 11:48:55 am »
The grain is very swirly. It is hard as the back of my head, and it throws splinters like a porcupine. I have been advised to let it go. I have for the most part listened. It makes good accents.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Knotty

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 11:53:49 am »
Thanks for your reply Jojo ,
But I really must try it , it only costs R$ 9 which is the equivalent to about $3,
VERY CHEAP.

I'm wondering if it can be sinew backed and if that cut on the end will bring any problems?

If anyone has any advice on how to proceed, please reply, it will be much appreciated.
~Isaia

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 11:56:46 am »
Did Jojo mention the stuff is hard? Somewhere the is a picture of him in a smoke filled garage as he destroys all his power tools trying to make a purple heart bow. I believe it also goes brown eventually in the sun. But then, I received a laminated bow in the trade last year with a purple heart core, and it is gorgeous.

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 11:57:31 am »
Bamboo backed maybe?

Offline Knotty

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 12:02:31 pm »
Being hard isn't the problem, I got time to spend , I only study pretty much 😂

Boo backing is an idea.

Someone please answer if this cut at the end of the handle is a problem?
http://www.dimedistribuidora.com.br/pagina/produtos/fotos_produtos/images/000013098.JPG

----------

Technically if I want to back with Boo, I'll have to flatten one side of the handle and then apply the bamboo strip, how thick should it be?

Thanks guys!
~Isaia

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 12:12:31 pm »
1/8" at the handle, tapering to 1/16" at the tip. Whether that slot is a problem depends on how it's oriented with the grain I would guess. You can always use two handles. Splice them and boo back. But I've only used PH for footing arrows so I know nothing about PH bows.

Offline Knotty

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 12:15:44 pm »
Thanks for your kind replies DC!

If anybody else has any advice to give , it will be much appreciated!
~Isaia

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2016, 12:16:07 pm »
When you search the internet for purple heart self bows and find one (that is probably junk by now), there is a reason. Take that into consideration and don't try reinventing the wheel.

To appreciate advice is to heed it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Knotty

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2016, 12:18:01 pm »
@PEARL DRUMS , could you please explain yourself better?
Thank you!
~Isaia

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2016, 12:20:59 pm »
The world has seen millions of bows made in the last two decades and only one to be found of purple heart. Its not because nobody has thought of it, or bowyers are scared of it, or we don't know what we are missing out on. Its because its junk wood for self bows. It makes a nice grip or overlays. That's about it. Spend your time, money and energy on something worthwhile. I don't care how much of any of them you have, use it wisely.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2016, 12:30:00 pm »
I made a maple backed purpleheart bow fot my wife, it's not a friendly wood hard on tools and pops splinters like porkypines
It also takes alot of effort to keep the purple color from fading. At the width you have there if you are dead set on trying it cut a strip from the center for a core in a trilam elb. Plenty of better woods for bows
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Knotty

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2016, 12:32:08 pm »
Thanks for the advice PEARL DRUMS ,
I totally respect your opinion as you're obviously alot more experienced than me.

I looked for PurpleHeart selfbows for one reason, if it works as a selfbow it has the ability to withstand tension and compression in the right way..
I've read a bit about it and it looks like it's good in tension but not in compression,
Since it's one of the most available materials I have at this moment,
I'd like to try making it backed with bamboo (Because it's not a stave so the grain is probably screwed)
And perhaps do a heat treatment on the belly to strengthen its compression abilities.

Thank you for your reply!

-----------------------

@Bubby , alrighty I've seen that trilams are most probably the best ideas for this type of wood.
Plus , I'd really love to have some personal experience with the wood in question,
That's the reason for which I've created this thread.

Really appreciate all of your advices!
~Isaia

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2016, 12:44:50 pm »
Not good bow wood in most all respects.  Since it is compression WEAK, backing it with Bamboo is a particularly bad idea.  Bamboo is on the very HIGH end of tension STRONG backers.  It will almost certainly over power your PH belly right away. 

It is pretty stuff, ...but as you've no doubt heard said, "Pretty is as pretty does!".  This is doubly true of functional things like bows.  PH will not work functionally in a bow except in the most very odd-burger applications.  Accent bits in a composite handle, tip overlays, or milled into ornamental beads to hang on the quiver, ...but tillered into a functional portion of the bow? - - - not smart without F-Glass.   :-\ :o >:(

OneBow