Main Discussion Area > HowTo's and Build-a-longs

Watch me build a reflex deflex boo backed ipe. NOT INSTRUCTIONAL

<< < (11/14) > >>

Jesse:
Well here is a picture of it at full brace of  6 1/2" and also a pic of a full draw pulling 63# @ 27" I still have to final sand it. Well it looks in the pic like its not bending a lot in the fades but I saw good movement there on the tree so I dont want to mess with it unless you pros think it necessary. It is a real easy draw and if I didnt know my scale was accurate I would think it was less weight. I had it out shooting to make sure nothing was going to change and even with my 20 strand tillering string and bulky tips it shoots a  fast arrow. I tillered the top limb to 8th" pos and it seems to balance nice in the draw. Now I have to shape the handle, cut in the shelf , shape the tips, and stain and finish.
Let me know what you think of the tiller. @ 63# I have a little room to tweak it. Right now mass weight is at 26 oz. Badger had it figured for 24 oz I still need to shape the handle but I dont think I will make 24 because I didnt do to much side tillering.  I did do some though ;D

Rich Saffold:
Dang that fresh water barracuda had a serious eating problem! ;D Nice fish jesse I've always wanted to catch one of those.

You will get those last couple of ounces, or be close enough that it wont matter.  It looks real good to me, and I'd love to see an unbraced pic after 50 shots or so. Don't mess with the fades either ;)

What are the arrows are you shooting from it?

Please don't put a b-50 string on it, unless its all you got for the time being. My choice for both silence and speed on these bows is a 12-14 strand Spectra endless style with around only 12 twists..

Flemmish will work, but is a heavier string, and I when I pluck both of them in front of a TV screen the flemish tends to keep oscillating for longer, and will hit my wrist when an endless won't..Little things I know. But a Lamborghini won't go very fast on retreads either :o

Rich-

Jesse:
Thanks Rich. I will post an unbraced pic tomorrow. The arrows I have right now are 55#--60# spine but are a little long so I can cut them to get a stiffer spine I hope. Right now they seem to week. My tiller string is ff and I think it is forcing a stiffer spine arrow due to its low stretch? the string I will make for this beast will be ff padded in the loops with a little b 50 just at the loops for less abrasion. This is my first time using ff and I can tell a difference. Your right it doesn't slap your arm but what I really love is when you put the loop on the bow it doesn't stretch out right away it just stays :) With the high tension at brace height thats a big deal. :o my b50 strings stretch so much I have a harder time bracing.  By the way you've been a big help so far Rich thanks a lot for taking the time.      Jesse

DanaM:
Looks good Jesse, looks like ya won't have to borrow bob for Tennessee after all ;) ;D

Jesse:
You asked for it so here it is. First is a pic of the unbraced bow before any tillering and another pic of it after being tillered and shot in. Looks like it took some set but nothing crazy. each hole in the board is 1" apart. Do you guys consider this a normal amount of set? I do but I dont see too many side by side before and after pics without heat treating.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version