Main Discussion Area > HowTo's and Build-a-longs

Watch me build a reflex deflex boo backed ipe. NOT INSTRUCTIONAL

(1/14) > >>

Jesse:
 This is not meant as a how to just for the record its just so you can see how I am doing it and give your input.
Ok this is a bamboo backed ipe reflex deflex bow. I got the bamboo and the ipe from Rich Saffold and it is some nice stuff. I got my idea for the form from rudderbows.
The bow will be 68" ntn with an 8 inch glued on riser. I am starting out at 1/14 wide and straight tapper to 1/2 tips. I will reduce this latter to get the mass down if it seems stable enough. Sounds reasonable to me.

Jesse:
I start with the bamboo. Its pretty thick so I will reduce it by width and thickness.

First I mark center with a chalk line and trce it in pencil
Then I mark center

Now I mark the tips at 3/4 and the center to 1 3/8 I do this because I think its easier to sand if its partially tapered. I dont cut to exact shape because after glue up it might not be exactly straight

Jesse:
After marking it out I cut it out on the bandsaw. I dont have a picture but I also mark a line on the side of the bamboo by clamping it to something straight and carefully marking it from center to tips> I try to give it a little taper also.

Then I sand it down to the line on my belt sander. Sorry no pic of that.
Next I mark out the ipe 4" Both sides of center. for the handle

Next I lay out the thickness taper. 1/2' at the fades to 3/16" tips

Then I clamp one limb at a time to my level and clamp on a straight edge to mark it

Jesse:
After cutting it out I tape the back of the boo and the belly of the ipe so they wont get glue on them. Then I rough up the surfaces to be glued by dragging the length of them across a jigsaw blade clamped in a vice. Then I use resorcinol glue and then wrap it  in plastic and then rubber straps and then clamp it in the form.

I got this idea from rudderbows to use a 2/4 cut in a curve to help shape the limb. It gives a much nicer looking bend than before I started using this

Here it is out of the form

Next I mark the taper on the ipe first a centerline to make sure it did not shift a little while I was al stressed out glueing ;D

Jesse:
Looks like it moved a little or the ipe was not straight. notice the sides are not even. Thats ok because the bamboo is plenty wide yet. Next I cut close to the lines and then sand. Now I will make the riser. I used some scraps of hickory osage and ipe. I think it will give it some nice color. I ran out of resorcinol so I will use tb3 for the riser. I got it clamped and her it is before I cut the shape.   This is all the progress I have made. I am all of the sudden very bussy at work so this project will slow down. Have patience ;D
Thanks for looking     Jesse

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version