Author Topic: Any luthiers here?  (Read 1634 times)

Offline Newindian

Any luthiers here?
« on: June 16, 2016, 02:34:44 am »
Made a harp a while back for a project, looks like crap but sounds ok, now I'm attempting to make something worth showing off, may try some other instruments as well. For example a koto if anyone has a big piece of paulownia layin around let me know.
I like free stuff.

Offline jeffp51

Re: Any luthiers here?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 10:39:19 am »
 I have a good friend who is an aspiring Luther. He is working on violins, though.

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 12:15:17 pm »
I started my career as a piano builder. That led me into guitars for a while but its been a few jobs and (many) years ago. I still love the art and appreciate the work of those who do it.

There are some really cool cigar box guitars made by folks in these parts ...

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 12:24:26 pm »
A koto, that's ballsy. Beautiful instrument for sure.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 10:54:21 pm »
I know Marc made a harp for his wife I saw it on his web site.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline stickbender

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2016, 04:25:26 pm »

There is a Luthier on here, but at the moment can't remember his name.  I think he is in Louisiana, he builds beautiful violins.  Mullet can tell you his name, as he bought some fish glue from him, I think.

Wayne

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2016, 07:16:57 pm »
I'm pretty sure idaho matt used to be a luthier
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2016, 08:38:57 pm »
Some people have called me a luthier but I don't feel like one.  I have made 6 Harps so far and have been commissioned to do another.  I do plan on making a Hurdy Gurdy as my wife really wants one, maybe this winter.  Have to do a shop expansion first.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Newindian

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2016, 11:26:27 pm »
Some people have called me a luthier but I don't feel like one.  I have made 6 Harps so far and have been commissioned to do another.  I do plan on making a Hurdy Gurdy as my wife really wants one, maybe this winter.  Have to do a shop expansion first.
I started my career as a piano builder. That led me into guitars for a while but its been a few jobs and (many) years ago. I still love the art and appreciate the work of those who do it.

There are some really cool cigar box guitars made by folks in these parts ...
Thanks for letting me know, I may ask some questions from time to time.
I like free stuff.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2016, 02:55:08 am »
Wow, I would love to build and be able to play a harp.  A Hurdy Gurdy?!  Double Wow!  Not too many people know what that is.  I would love to get one of those also one day.  I have never heard one in person, but have heard one on the radio, by a band that included different instruments in their music.  Pictures, Marc, Pictures, you know we have a need for pictures, then we can add them to our imaginations, of ourselves building the same project.  Multiple pictures too, and of course from all sides, and dimensions, etc.  Shoot, you know how it is.  Looking forward to seeing those projects!
                                    Wayne

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2016, 03:48:41 pm »
Well I can make them but can't make any music with them, that's my wife's department.  Here's a few pic of some of the finished Harps, these are all Celtic Harps. 

The 2 small Harps have 22 strings, or 3 octaves, and I made those a couple Winters ago for some locals.  The big one is a 31 string Harp I made for my wife a few years ago.

Then there is this 24 string Harp (3 1/2 octaves) with an ERC sound box, I made 2 of these

I also made a 28 string Harp last Winter, haven't taken any pics of that one yet.  It's a bit of a unique Harp in that I used Willow for the sound box, apparently the Irish liked Willow for Harps.  I used Diamond Willow, a local tree that grows in swampy areas, and I had to search a long time to find something usable.  I made that one for my wife and she named it Willa, for special reasons.

Unlike commercial Harps that make extensive use of plywood all my Harps are made of solid wood with solid Spruce soundboards, it makes a difference in the sound.  The only one that doesn't have a Spruce soundboard is the 31 string Harp and it uses Spanish Cedar

My wife ordered plans for the Hurdy Gurdy a few years ago, I just didn't get around to making it yet.

I did take extensive pics of the Harps as I was making them if anyone is interested
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com