Author Topic: Narrowing tips  (Read 1102 times)

Offline DC

Narrowing tips
« on: June 19, 2016, 12:12:03 pm »
When you're narrowing the tips of a bow there is a limit before the bow starts to bend sideways. How do you anticipate the sideways bend? I would think that once it's started, it's already too far. You can't see it on the tree so I guess you have to look for it in your hand. How do you do it?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Narrowing tips
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 12:20:01 pm »
First low brace! The sooner you are there the better. I generally narrow the last 6" to 8" of each limb, sometimes early on, sometimes after first low brace. By waiting until first brace you can see how the string, under tension, will track along the bow. By waiting until then you can adjust that string tracking by removing wood from one side or the other of the tips...and I do the handle area the same but mostly not until first brace.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 12:32:33 pm »
I've read every 65 grains taken from a bows tip increases speed 1 fps if that's your objective.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 04:02:35 pm »
I agree with Pat. I lave the nocks wide at about an inch and the handle full width unti full draw so I can track the string better.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 04:35:26 pm »
You can narrow tips a lot narrow than you think.....just keep the thickness.....
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 02:17:40 am »
You do it when the bow is 99% finished that way you are narrowing in line with the final string line.
Sideways bend shouldn't be too much of an issue as there is less leverage at the tips.
If it is starting to move you can always add a thin overlay on either the belly or the sides if necessary!
I've done a Molle where the wood had a load of shakes making the narrow tips likely to dissintegrate, I took the belly down in thickness and overlaid sound wood.
Simplest is to just try flexing it sideways now and then as you slowly take it down.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.