Author Topic: Should I Be Concerned (Wood Seasoning)  (Read 1165 times)

Offline gfugal

Should I Be Concerned (Wood Seasoning)
« on: March 11, 2017, 11:55:58 am »
So I harvested some Juniper yesterday. I cut down one tree with no problem and divided it into two logs one a little over 70" and the other probably 60". tapers from about 6" diameter to 3". Everything was going smooth until I saw another tree that was uprooted on the ground with a pretty straight thick branch. I hopped over the trunk and had a little space to stand in between other branches. I should have just left it. I cut the top off the desired branch without problem, but when I was severing the branch from the trunk on the last swing it separated the branch but kept going and nicked my leg. Since I was so cramped I couldn't have a wide stance or move out of the way. Needless to say, I learned a tough lesson on ax safety. I ended getting 5 stitches, which isn't bad considering it could have been much worse.

My concern is this: since I had to go to urgent care, and since it was dark and late when I got out I wasn't able to split the wood or put some coating on the exposed ends. I was out near my parents place so I left it there late last night in their back yard. I was able to convince them to put a coating on the exposed ends but it was still left out to dry all night. I work today till 7 and will be gone out of town Sunday so I won't be able to split the logs till Monday. should I be overly concerned? I don't know if Juniper checks like other woods. I would hate that after all that work, and injury, to find out that the wood ends up being ruined anyway.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Should I Be Concerned (Wood Seasoning)
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 12:43:27 pm »
If you can't do it you can't do it. Get out there as soon as you can and get the wood to better drying conditions. You may have a few checks in the ends but I doubt it dried enough to get checks down it's length.
Sorry to hear about your injury. Being careful and being thoughtful is important when using potentially dangerous tools. Your life or limbs are way more valuable than bow wood. Never get in a rush and never work dangerously, ie. off balance. Stuff happens too quickly to not have your full concentration for the work at hand.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 12:48:19 pm by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bob W.

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 06:43:09 pm »
X2 what Pat said, sometimes we can get careless and that's when shat happens! Glad you are ok!

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 07:07:34 pm »
Don't mind the wood (too much). Outside in these temperatures the wood doesn't dry that quickly.

My kids tell me YOLO. Since I work part time as a climbing arborist, hanging 25 m high up in trees with chainsaws, my motto is You only DIE once.
You were lucky, I'm glad for you.
stay  careful.

and stay away from chainsaws unless you are properly trained to handle them. Chainsaws are extremely dangerous tools

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 07:17:55 pm »
I think your story sums up the obsession of being a bowyer almost perfectly. After having axed yourself while cutting a tree in a hard to access location and receiving needed medical treatment, your major worry is the potential loss of a good stave due to having to leave it behind. If you asked this question anywhere else, people might have questioned your mental stability.  :laugh:  ::)  :laugh:

Glad you're okay. I wouldn't worry too much about the staves. Their harvesting already required a blood sacrifice. That seems like a more than fair karmic price to pay. At this point I would expect you'll end up with one hell of a bow from them considering the karmic price tag thus far.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 08:10:51 pm »
They have answered responsibly. The logs will be fine for a few days especially if the ends got sealed.
Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 08:46:58 pm »
 Checking to the point of ruining staves just doesn't happen that fast. Losing a limb does. Perspective.

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 04:07:34 am »
Checking to the point of ruining staves just doesn't happen that fast. Losing a limb does. Perspective.

Luckily, the limb was sealed in time  ;D