Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

90-100lbs selfbow shortie- challenge

<< < (2/7) > >>

PatM:
The  selfbows shot as footbows in the early 20th century achieved around half a mile or more but they drew a much heavier weight.
  One of them that pulled 225 pounds was still described as '"little".

redhawk55:
Cat.......................if my wife will scent out this post, there will be trouble in paradise...................what about your bow-classes, what about the new garden fence...........etc..............

Yes, I' m wildly optimistic and curious. I had been heavily busy with the enlargement of my workshop. To rebuild an old stinking pig's barn for about 3 months makes you longing for some great new challenges.

I' m just curious if a short selfbow with a drawweight of 80lbs plus has ever been built.
Steve, have you ever measured speed and distance of that ipe- selfbow? What is known about these heavy flightbows of the flightshooters of the early 20th century?

The design I described is just my favourite design for flights and I guess it is the best design for such a bow.

I would suggest the length and drawweight only as a limit: 50", 80lbs plus, everything other is up to the bowyer.

O.k., one beer, cheers, Michael

Badger:
  Michael, I didn't get an accurate measure but I think it was close to about 400 yards.   I was using a cut off target arrow with 5" fletches.

mikekeswick:
I'll have a dig through my stave pile....

Ian.:
I'm game for this challenge, always have a little stave kicking around somewhere

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version