Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

90-100lbs selfbow shortie- challenge

(1/7) > >>

redhawk55:
Has anyone ever built an about 100lbs selfbow shortie, length about 45", draw 21"-23"? No reflex or deflex, but sharp recurves.
I guess it would make 600- 800yards?
Sure this bow will not at all comfortable to shoot, maybe a shooting machine should do the job?
This is a challenge!
Anyone in?

Michael

Del the cat:
I think you guess is wildly optimistic (but I'm quite happy to be wrong)
I'm hoping to build a flight bow soon, but I have a ton of other stuff on. I'll be happy to get over 300 yards.
Maybe if you widen the spec a tad?
a) You don't need a lower draw weight limit.
b) 48", maybe 50" max length, gives a bit more wriggle room?
c) I don't think you need a draw length limit as the bow length and weight will regulate it.
d) Clarify length... It includes any levers?
e) Dunno why you say no deflex or reflex... the other limitations surely hold it tight enough, especially if you are allowing tight recurves? (it becomes a bone of contention when does reflex become recurve?)
f) Anyone who builds one is allowed a beer :laugh:.

Not trying to steal your thunder, just trying to open it out to get more participants :)
I'll have my lawyers draw up something ;)
Del

sleek:
Id be more inclined if I could reflex or deflex as I see fit.

JoJoDapyro:
Just one Beer?

Badger:
  I built a 42" ipe self bow one time that drew some amount over 100# estimate about 130# but only drew it 18". I mounted it on a board and shot it like a crossbow. I think what you describe is very doable and may have been done by the old flight shooters in the early 20th century.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version