Author Topic: Removing tools marks  (Read 6304 times)

Offline lauderw55

Re: Removing tools marks
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2016, 09:44:27 am »
Ok I have been using a knife as a scrapper do you guys have any suggestion on a type of scrapper that be better. Possible one that could be found at hardware store

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2016, 10:37:00 am »
I have been using the rasp a lot more recently. I have found I use the rasp in a diagonal direction to the wood grain. To clean up the tool marks a finer file, at a 90 degree angle to the grain cleans them up almost completely. Then paper, Then more paper, and then steel wool.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2016, 11:00:40 am »
All the best advice said earlier here.
Just my two cents on tools what I tlller with.A farriers rasp[less aggressive side]followed by a 2by4 block of wood with 36 grit paper on it to remove all if any undulations or ripples or whatever lengthwise.Then to 80 grit/100 grit/150 grit/to 220.Every stave is different  with undulations on it so keeping each side of limb the same thickness needs to keep being checked constantly.You will find what tools work the most comfortable for you.
To start with before I tiller to bigger bending I have a very pristine back.Lots of times to 220 grit already.Corners rounded too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Badger

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2016, 11:17:13 am »
  I see lots of advice I agree with. I use primarily a scraper to remove tool marks but one problem with a scraper is that when you have even a shallow gouge horizontal to the grain the scraper can dig into the gouge each stroke. I use a slightly rounded scraper that allows me to go across the grain in these cases instead of with the grain, I try to maintain at least a 45 degree angle to the direction of the tool mark.  If that doesn't work I use a rasp if I have enough wood left on the bow. I try to keep tool marks gone the best I can throughout the process.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2016, 01:39:21 pm »
Steve just said it,  "try to remove the tool marks throughout the process".
Everything I do throughout my process is to progressively get finer and finer with material removal. I start out course and with every tool change I remove the tool marks from the rougher tool before. All the way to 600 grit good sandpaper.
One thing that I haven't seen mentioned is using natural sun lite so find all of your imperfections.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2016, 01:48:58 pm »
I have made really good scrapers out of circular saw blades and large band saw blades.  There is a post towards the back of the how-to section on here that shows you how to put an edge on a scraper. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

JacksonCash

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2016, 01:53:49 pm »

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2016, 04:08:10 pm »
 when tillering go slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww use the fine rasp. Then use scraper then sand paper. And quit using the corner edges of the file. Making those deep tool marks.

I do all of my tillering with ruff to fine rasps sand paper to finish.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2016, 12:16:03 am »
I love a gooseneck scraper for tool marks.    Typically by the time the bow is braced I have the working parts of the bow free of tool marks, and at that point I'm mostly using a cabinet scraper.

Offline cadet

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2016, 06:36:11 am »
Most of mine so far I've chosen sharp bladed tools that don't leave gouges and roughness: drawknives, spokeshaves etc.  I don't mind a few of those tool marks; it makes for a more "honest" finish that leaves evidence of the process that created the piece.
I have got some surforms, shintos and dreadnoughts to play with now though, so that'll perhaps change my approach.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2016, 01:06:21 pm »
I often hear people's scrapers/knife blades make noise as they come in contact with the wood.  If you hear a pop or click as your tool comes down, you just cut a ding in the wood where you started scraping.  *click*scrape*click*scrape*

That's a cut mark going ACROSS the grain.  So every scrape leaves another tool mark. 

Instead, lay the scraper/knifeblade on the limb well above the tool mark and rotate it up to scraping position as you move it towards the tool mark you intend to take out.  It's kinda like a wiping motion.  And that is an apt description because it wipes out tool marks.

And with your rasps and such, try changing the angle of the rasp to the limb.  All of my rasps have a point where the rank and file of the teeth line up and it leaves virtually no toolmarks. 

Lastly, SIDEWALK CHALK, and the cheapest you can find.  Or a charcoal briquette.   :o  No really.  Rub this up and down the limbs and wipe with a rag.  Pops those tool marks out so they are easier to find. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2016, 06:17:05 pm »
When it comes to finishing a bow I have a love hate view on it. I'm pretty meticulous about getting almost every mark out and so usually I drag on finishing for a few days normally by scraping all the rough marks out and then going and sanding each individual mark out.
I like osage

Offline bushboy

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2016, 10:35:48 am »
I use a knife to take out tool. Marks
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2016, 10:25:14 am »
I am going to try the charcoal thing today, JW.

Offline DC

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2016, 10:50:17 am »
I use a knife to take out tool. Marks

As a scraper or as a blade?