Author Topic: Anyone grow any hot peppers?  (Read 5801 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Anyone grow any hot peppers?
« on: June 15, 2016, 05:02:45 pm »
I'm curius if anyone else is growing any hot peppers this year. This is my first year trying them. I tried getting three varieties started from seed, but they died shortly after sprouting due to over watering on the first batch and too much wind on the second. Those were lemon drops, red devil tongues, and Carolina reapers. Once the second batch died I got some started plants. These ones are Hungarian wax, carribean red, and ghost. The wax plant are covered in buds and has a couple of fruits started. I can't wait to try them. So does anyone else grow the hot peppers? And have any tips to share?

Thanks,
Kyle

Oh and here's my first pepper started.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
Re: Anyone grow any hot peppers?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 05:34:58 pm »
I just grow banana peppers I'm not much on the hot ones.
The main thing is to keep the bugs off them and don't over water. I see you have them in bucks. Make sure they are where they can drain good. Make sure you fertilize to. In a bucket you tend to wash all the nutrients out of the soil just by watering. I also use Epson salts.  Jut buy a bag and read the directions on the back. That's what I  do and I get a ton of banana peppers.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 05:39:04 pm »
I have a hard time with peppers. I can get one good plant. The rest die. My Anaheim's didn't make it this year. But my purple bells are doing fine!
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Knotty

• Don't regret your past, learn from it.
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 08:23:08 pm »
Other than bowyer I do consider myself a gardener,
Last year I had about 40 plants of red chili peppers growing on full sun (on the ground) and they got to a height of about 1,5 meters.

My tip is:
Start them directly in the soil they'll be growing in,
Mix soil with 1/3 of well rotten cow manure or compost and the other 2/3 of sand and soil.
Make sure the soil has good draining or you'll end up with blossom end rot or dead seedlings.
Grow them in full sun, they like having at least 6 hours of sunlight daily and
Only fertilize when you see flower buds appearing with a potassium rich fertilizer to promote flowering and fruiting.

Good luck!

~Isaia

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 08:50:36 pm »
I see you are trying ghost peppers.  Be VERY careful with them if you get peppers.  I grew them last year and they are hot. Even people that love hot peppers (like me) can have a difficult time with those.   >:D >:D

Offline JonW

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 10:12:11 am »
I have grown a bunch of peppers through the years. Habanero is my favorite. The Hungarian peppers are pretty good as well. I don't really care for the flavor of the Ghost peppers and they are stupid hot. Soil and light are the keys to growing peppers.

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 10:16:29 am »
The city I live in is named Sandy, For a very good reason. Is sandy soil ok, or should I add some additional amendments? I do rotate, and my plants are where I grew peas last year.

Offline Knotty

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 11:31:28 am »
Sandy soil is great for the seed germination , as many prefer soiless growing mediums.
However sand will not have the important nutrients the plant will need for it's growth and fruiting..
Which are: Potassium, Nitrogen, Phosphorus (PNK).

So my advice is to amend the sandy soil with compost or well rotten manure.
You got a good base start since peppers love good draining soil.
~Isaia

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2016, 04:44:25 pm »
I have the peppers in a three part mix of old cattle barn dirt, sand, and vermiculite. It drains well and stays moist to te touch for about 2 days and water every three days. When I planted them I gave each a handful of bonemeal. Then when they started growing buds I gave each a spoon full of sulfur and have been giving them a shot of Epsom salt each week. The ghost aren't gaining much height yet, but te larger of the two is about as broad as the bucket. The Hungarian keep getting taller and the one without fruit on it yet is about 18" tall or so and has about 3-4" on the other. The carribean and somewhere in between. Very dense with leaves but atull short. This is my first year trying to grow peppers so I'm now sure how large the planes themselves are supposed to be and am trying the soul and fertilizers I had read in some pepper growing sites. Does it sound like I'm doing things right for them?

I can't wait to try a ghost straight. I've had lots of things flavored with them and love em, but never the pepper by itself. Yet.

Kyle

Offline Knotty

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2016, 06:03:03 pm »
Yes you're doing the right things technically.
I haven't had that much care with the peppers,
However here in Brazil the heat and soil really help.
I grow them as perennials here, if I have a plant , after each harvest , I can prune it down and get myself another for as much as 3 years straight.

But anyway, I just have to wish you good luck for now because you surely got all the ingredients and factors needed to grow some great peppers!

Good luck and keep us updated on your results,
I hope I was helpful 😉

PS: If you have any other questions reply to this post or just pm me and I'll be more than happy to help!
~Isaia

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2016, 06:14:28 pm »
Post some photos of you plants. I've seen some dandy's from Florida, I can only imagine what they look like in your neck of the woods.

Offline Knotty

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2016, 06:33:33 pm »
Jojo are you talking to me? 😂
~Isaia

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2016, 09:15:28 pm »
I grow grove peppers, Thai's, ghost, Scorpion, Tabasco, Jalapeno, Scotch Bonnet, Habanero, Cubanero, Banana Pepper and Sweet Miniature bells. I don't do anything special except a little Epsom salt and occasionally Pee on them.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Knotty

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2016, 09:19:56 pm »
Believe it or not peeing on your plants is extremely healthy for them as urine contains nitrogen which really boosts plant leaf production 😊
~Isaia

Offline Haybalehunter

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2016, 09:49:03 pm »
Yep, when I'm outside I'll dilute my pee in water and spread the love  :)
I've got my peppers in the ground that I amend with our aged manure compost and alfalfa that the goats waste. I have some orange bells, mini red bells, scorpion, Anaheim, and poblano peppers that are doing very well. If you live in a hot climate like me you'll want to plant them in a spot that gets some shade during the hottest parts of the day.