Author Topic: More string problems  (Read 2938 times)

Offline DC

More string problems
« on: June 08, 2016, 01:29:36 pm »
Strings are turning out to be my nemesis. I stopped using Flemish twist because they stretched/slipped. I started using endless and they seemed to be working and then I noticed this. My brace height hasn't changed noticeably so if it is stretch/slipping it isn't much. The serving was nice and tight when I first did it. It's had maybe 500 shots. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong this time?

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
Re: More string problems
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 01:42:30 pm »
Loops like a fine job to me.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 02:07:55 pm »
Were you making double loop flemish twist strings?  What material?  Were you stretching them before you put them on a bow?  My opinion would be to figure out your problems on the flemish strings and make those.  I started out with endless loop strings.  Once I learned how to make a good flemish string that's all I used.  They are easier and quicker to make for me.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 02:15:08 pm »
You need to "pack" the served loop a bit tighter together as you serve it and then do the same when you serve the base of the loop.  Make sure the string is under high tension when you serve the loops together.
  Basically you're getting a small amount of movement of the strands and the servings are grabbing each other and  making things slide.

Offline bow101

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 02:30:28 pm »
I twist them then I pre stretch the string.  I give up............... >:D  A lot of guys get them done professionally.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 03:00:00 pm »
OO-- I was trying to make double loop Flemish but I struggled with the length. When I made single loop the Timber hitch slipped

PatM-- My wife suggested that. I'll try again with more tension.

I would rather make Flemish strings, I enjoy making them more. A guy can only practice so much. I've got about 10 strings hanging on a nail.

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 03:11:34 pm »
  Hard to explain without showing someone but the biggest problem I run into when teaching someone how t make a flemish is that they don't "capture" the existing twists when going from one set of strands to the other and they don't twist them up tight enough. You need to keep your fingers tightly pinched over the area you have completed and pull each set of strands through your pinched grip as you alternate twisting and wrapping. Are you twisting to the right and wrapping to the left??

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 03:33:29 pm »
Have you tried a bowyers hitch with to loops?

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2016, 03:40:00 pm »
I'm pretty sure I am. I do it the way most of the you tube people. I say most because a few of them do it wrong. I hold the loop in my left hand, twist the far string top away(clockwise?) and then wrap it toward me over the other one and then repeat. So looking at my left hand it would be twist clockwise and wrap anti clockwise. It's sure tough to put into words. How much wax. I thought that the string was waxy enough and that wax is, well, slippery. Top Predator suggested that I try using more wax. Here's a pic of one of my Flemish. I'm using 10 strands of FF. It's a little blurry but I shake a bit.

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2016, 03:46:39 pm »
Have you tried a bowyers hitch with to loops?

Yes, I do two wraps and then through the loop 4 or more times depending on the size of the tip. I can usually get four. I notice the brace height going down maybe 1/4" a week or so.

Offline Badger

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2016, 03:50:03 pm »
  Those look fine, I can't imagine why they are slipping. I brace mine up let it sit for a few minutes and then adjust length by twinsting. Your loops look as tight as mine do.

mikekeswick

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2016, 03:12:52 am »
It they are slipping you aren't twisting tight enough.
If the knots are slipping you need to add some short strands of B50 to bulk the end out to 16 - 18 strands total.
When you do them right they will never slip.
Your serving is simply too loose. Serving will not move if you get it tight enough.
Sounds like you just need to practise more and fine tune your methods.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2016, 06:09:07 am »
They often shift a bit especially on high poundage bows. (Mike's are obviously better than mine :-[ )
When you start to serve the two sides together to close the loop, do some figure of 8 whipping to start the thread , this helps. Also crank up the tension on the string jig and server.
I still get 'em shifting a bit, but you can always re-do the serving that pulls the sides together, or add in a little more... doesn't have to look too pretty.
Couple of days ago I had a guy drop a bow off to me, I'd made it in 2012. He said the string kept coming off :o.
Turns out it was some random old stretchy dacron string, not the one I'd made for the bow. the loops had stretched out like they'd fit a horse bow! I tidied the nocks a bit and re-served the string where the loop closes.
Dunno why he couldn't figure it out himself... I s'pose thats the difference between just 'archers' and bowyers. ::)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Blayne

• Top Predator Outdoors
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2016, 09:27:43 am »
I need to come for a visit!
"A society grows great when old men plant trees under who shade they will never sit" Greek Proverb

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2016, 09:49:28 am »

Dunno why he couldn't figure it out himself... I s'pose thats the difference between just 'archers' and bowyers. ::)
Del

This is one of the reasons I came here, I don't know if I'll ever get around to trying my hand at making a bow, but I like to know all about my equipment and no better way to know than to get to know how it's made. I spent a lot of time on bladesmithing forums when I started fencing and learned a lot about swords that I would never have known just from training with them.