Author Topic: Oops... I lit the woods on fire  (Read 1485 times)

Offline PrimitiveTim

Oops... I lit the woods on fire
« on: June 03, 2016, 02:35:38 pm »
Some friends and I are working on a habitat restoration project on my parents land while they're out of the country for a couple years.  I'm planning to make a video series about it so that people can understand how important fire is important for our wilderness.   This video highlights some of the most exciting moments of the burns.

https://youtu.be/h5qcjqX-kd0
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline DC

Re: Oops... I lit the woods on fire
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 02:55:06 pm »
How many permits did you have to take out to do that?

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 03:32:31 pm »
AWESOME! I use fire on my place too! always catches folks off guard.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 12:25:18 am »
AWESOME! I use fire on my place too! always catches folks off guard.

Just one. Lol the sheriff pulled up and watched for a few minutes, told us the fire department was on their way. Then he left and the fire department never showed up so all's well that ends well.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 08:53:28 am »
I've had to fight a fair number of forest fires, mostly small ones.  Some were deliberately lit, some lit by accident, and others lit by shear stupidity.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2016, 09:50:46 am »
In a fire dependent plant community fire is essential.  After a good rain and a few weeks you won't recognize the old, overgrown woods. This is a good way to reduce invasive exotics  or unwanted plants also.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2016, 07:38:03 pm »
/Hope you didn't get it too hot and kill those trees. Did you film that with a Drone
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2016, 08:47:36 pm »
 What's a permit.

Good job. I don't know where your at. If your doing it for the wild life. You should have did the burning in the spring. You could have frost planted a lot of different clovers,glass's,resumes. But if your just doing it to look good. That'll work.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2016, 10:24:26 pm »
Crooketarrow, he is near the Kennedy Space Center. Everyday is like Spring down here. And, it's been raining more then we are used too with another 2.5" coming Monday.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline stickbender

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2016, 01:15:19 am »

When I worked for the FD, we would get a courtesy call, from either, our central dispatch, or from the people at Johnathan Dickenson State park, letting us know that they would be conducting a controlled burn.  Which is fine, but they would do so, when we had a ban on that day for the average citizen, due to high winds.  Well when we got the call, we would put our Bunker gear on, and get the brush trucks ready, and sure enough, we would get the tones, and dispatch would send us out to help them get control of the "Controlled Burn" the park was conducting.  They never could understand about burning during excess winds, or maybe they just figured, we would come to bail them out.  The only problem, I see, with Tim's burn, is the hen turnkeys are nesting, or have already hatched a brood, unless the raccoons, armadillos, and coyotes got them.  But they may have broods big enough to get out of dodge, when the flames come their way.  They are nesting out here in Montana now.  We used to set fires down in the Big Cypress Swamp, to clear old growth under brush, and dead prairie grass.  Within a week, new shoots were coming up.  Especially if we got rain.  We would try to burn when there was expected rain.  The burns were pretty safe, as it was not windy, and it would only burn to the edge of a marsh, or swamp. 
                                    Wayne

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2016, 09:08:56 am »
Wayne's right about the nesting hens. The Management areas try to do their burns between the end of small game season, Mar.1 and Spring Gobbler season, mid March, just for that reason. You also have quail and meadowlarks along with other ground nesters sitting or tending broods this time of year.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline stickbender

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2016, 01:26:45 am »

Forgot about the quail and meadow larks.  Then there are the box turtles, and bull bats.  Or night hawks.
     By the way, meadow larks are good eating...... ;)

Wayne