Author Topic: First try  (Read 5991 times)

grantmac

First try
« on: February 26, 2008, 09:21:21 pm »
This is my first try. Started with a very nice straight grained Red Oak board.
It is really underweight, I think because I started with a fairly thin board and I was going for sort of an ELB shape. It's a bit flat in the middle but the tips are nice and thin.
I may back it with some maple or something to try and bring up the weight. It's also fairly long for my draw-length so I will probably shorten it to try for some weight as well.
Well here are the pics. Have only shot it with that crappy string which must have lots of stretch.

Cheers,
        Grant

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: First try
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 09:24:35 pm »
Great looking bow Grant. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 09:25:31 pm »
Welcome to PA Grant, it looks like you did a great job for yer first bow, ya should have seen mine :-[ :-[
You could cut her down some and gain a few pounds if ya want. But ya know its only your first and there will be
many more :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 10:01:33 pm »
Man that looks great to me (almost perfect tiller)! Is your string long? do you have a braced picture?
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 10:27:49 pm »
good job man i hope my first turns out as well as yours did.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 11:09:34 pm »
Looked at it again grantmac - see your first pic is at brace :). Just didn't look to be bending enough, haven't done a bendy handle bow myself - not used to it.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

grantmac

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 11:20:29 pm »
I know there is going to be many more. I got two useful pieces from the 1.75x1.75 of Red Oak I got. The next one will have the thicker of the two (about 1" thick). This one started at .75" so it's not quite got enough wood for a proper ELB design. I'm hoping perhaps some backing will get me up to weight. Unfortunately I'm not able to get Hickory for a decent price around here, but I might just bite the bullet and get a board of it; it should last a long time are backing. I can get Maple fairly easily though, would a .25" piece of verticle grain stuff make a decent backing? I also have some drywall fibre tape, but thats getting a little too close to fiberglass for a primitive bow.
I'm hoping the next one ends-up around the 45# mark, this one is just over 20# which is much too light. Although maybe my stretchy string is causing the draw-weight to appear lighter than it is. I think I'll get some B-50 tomorrow and try my hand at my first flemish string. I'm going to try the one-loop and timber-hitch method because it seems much easier.
 Thanks,
         Grant

P.S. I also have a couple Osage staves I got sent to me years ago that I just never got around to trying my hand at. I think one might find it's way into a flatbow sometime soon. The other has some knots so I'll wait until I'm more confident before I start on it.

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 11:43:35 pm »
the board what were the demensions? i want to buy some oak to make a bow and any info would be awesome. thanks man
Modern Day Tramp

330bull

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 12:53:17 am »
Fantastic job!!!  The tiller looks perfect already!

grantmac

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 01:32:57 am »
the board what were the demensions? i want to buy some oak to make a bow and any info would be awesome. thanks man

Dimensions for this one was about 72x1.5x.75" to start, but in the end the handle ended-up at about 1.1" and the tips just under .5" which I think I should have kept a bit wider. I was going for a more ELB look and didn't realize how much weight I'd loose. If I can back and pike it up to the 35-40# range I'll be very, very happy. Of course I'll have to retiller but I really enjoyed the process and it's good practice.
        Cheers,
               Grant

Offline Gordon

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 03:11:37 am »
I think that is pretty darn good for a first bow. Keep them coming!
Gordon

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 03:43:17 am »

very nice (not only) for a first bow!!!

frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline DanaM

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 10:17:05 am »
Grant if its 72" long I think you could easily cut it down to 68", you didn't say what your draw length is that will
also determine how short you can cut it. With a board I would keep the belly flat not rounded like in a elb.
As for backings maple will work fine as long as the grain is good ie no runoffs, but linen or silk is easier and will
hold a bow together just fine. Please no drywall tape :o its so ugly.

"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2008, 10:37:10 am »
Welcome Grant, and great first bow!

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 11:20:03 am »
Great looking bow Grant,wished my first turned out like that. :)

Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good