Author Topic: silencers  (Read 3382 times)

Offline jeffp51

silencers
« on: June 04, 2016, 12:17:32 am »
1.  what is your favorite method for making string silencers?  Consider looks, effectiveness and cost.

2.  How do you know where to put them?

thanks

Offline bow101

Re: silencers
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 12:55:06 am »
I picked up some animal fur ones and they blew up after 8 shots.  So I found some  rayon nylon stuff at the thrift shop and its lasted after 300 shots so far.  Put them about 12" from the nocks.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Online chamookman

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 03:40:42 am »
I've used strips of Muskrat Fur for years. Buy 'Em commercially - pretty cheap cause they last forever. Muskrats Fur naturally sheds water. I divide the string into thirds - above and below the nock point. I install the Fur at the 2/3 mark - closest to the tip each way. Don't measure it, just Eyeball it. Best of luck and have FUN ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 05:59:16 am »
I use front legs from my red fox they are scrap fur that needs to be removed before sale. I also use muskrat I like both and have shot them thousands of times and they look just like they did the day I put them on. Mine are basically fur on rawhide they are not tanned just take toothbrush wirebrush or Emory cloth to thin and soften leather side a bit
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 06:52:35 am »
I like to use beaver fur. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline maatus

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2016, 07:26:30 am »
What's the point of using string silencers on primitive bows? I thought they're for modern fiberglass ones, as they sound like a rifle when shot...

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2016, 07:58:08 am »
They help to make a quiet bow even quieter.  I put them on my hunting bows.  I shot a buck at 10 yards and he never acted like he heard the bow.  He kept walking at a casual pace for 20 yards with an arrow through his chest. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2016, 08:39:31 am »
I put fur on my arrow shelf too. It really does quite bow to where all you here is arrow.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Redhand

• Marlen Murdock PM109458
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2016, 09:34:31 am »
I use beaver fur silencers.   
Northern Ute

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2016, 09:39:58 am »
I buy mink stoles and the neck things at goodwill or flea markets. Have an endless supply.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2016, 09:45:13 am »
Markus, not only do they help eliminate string vibration but they are cool looking.  ;)
 I've used many kinds of animal fur like beaver, mink, muskrat and even skunk. One of my favorite is wool fleece and lately I've used raw wool yarn. Even a rubber band tied to your string will work.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2016, 11:27:21 am »
My main bow has rabbit fur strips for silencers, they've been on it since I made the bow years ago and they are showing no wear after thousands of shots.
I like osage

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2016, 02:36:26 pm »
Yeppers.After paying for them a few times I now just search in the little womans' yarn bundle and find the color I want.I try to use 100% wool though if I can get it.It does'nt take much.
Sometimes early string tension on some bows are so much that they sound like a guitar string humming.These woolys completely eliminate that sound.Making it just a whisper a sound and dead silence.Other then that a self bow is still a very very quiet shooting stick for sure even without silencers.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed