Author Topic: Selfbow backing  (Read 2833 times)

Offline Arrowbuster

Selfbow backing
« on: June 03, 2016, 09:02:24 pm »
If I back a bow does it need to have a back that has limited violations in the growth ring? Or does it matter at all. I have searched this topic and can't find the answer. For instance, can I take a stave get it relatively flat without worrying about breaking through a ring and then glue a back on and still have a trustworthy bow?

Offline Knotty

• Don't regret your past, learn from it.
Re: Selfbow backing
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 09:23:11 pm »
I've been wondering that too, looking forward to a reply on this thread!
~Isaia

Offline J05H

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 09:25:08 pm »
  It depends on the backing. If you're planning to use canvas or rawhide or something of that nature, then you need a fairly good back because they provide minimal protection. A slight bit of runout or some pin knots might be okay but flattening without respect for flaws or grain would not.
  On the other hand, if your planning to use hickory or bamboo or some other hard backing, then your core or belly are much less critical. Your focus shifts to the integrity of the backing strip. That's not to say you can back just any piece of wood and automatically expect it to work. Flaws in the core or belly can still cause failure, so it's best to always seek the highest quality wood you can find and work and treat it properly.
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 10:17:22 pm »
What JO5H said!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 10:42:35 pm »
  I built 2 Osage bows like that. One I added bamboo and another I used a hickory strip. BUILT THE BOW INTO BOW FORM. TO FLOOR TILLER SANDED THE BOWS BACK DOWN FLAT.

The bamboo I also had to sand flat to match to bows back. The hickory strip was much easy er after I cut got it out.

Glue, raped with ace bandage let them dry in the sun for a few days. If possable.

Then finished the bows form,tiller,finish. Both bows were fine and good cast ,sweet shooters.

These bows were in my younger years when I did  and try ed everything possable. I quit backing bows years ago.

The reason I did this was the Osage rings were thin slices way to thin to follow. I really didn't have anything else to back those bows with at the time. And for these backings to work you have to have a flat surfaces to glue together.

The bamboo bow was sweet 60" 61#@26" I  used it 2 buck seasons 2 does and a 9 point. Plus I shot a 10 point the second fall,that another guy arrowed him the next morning. He scored 136 2/8"s. And one spring gobbler season I missed 2 with it.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2016, 12:22:09 am »
If I know a yes or juniper bow is getting a sinew back, I'll not worry about violating rings either, just shape the back how I want it