Author Topic: Duoflex Bow  (Read 29743 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Duoflex Bow
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2008, 06:46:02 pm »
Alex
The bow has 1/8" positive tiller now but it did have almost 1/4" in that last picture.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2008, 07:27:20 pm »
Thanks for posting those Marc. Those are some tough looking bows! Maybe I should get a few more regular recurves under my belt before I give that a go :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2008, 12:15:26 pm »
I do have another one I have been working on. It's a Hickory backed Osage. It was also giving me headaches so I put it aside a couple years ago. It's about time I get back on it

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Dustybaer

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2008, 12:50:35 pm »
awesome, impressive, can't think of the propper word.  first thought was: who needs glass, when you see a bow like this?

Offline Badger

« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2008, 04:13:54 pm »
Mark, I have a hickory backed osage that is similar been setting around for a few months now, not quite as radical but you have me thinking about it. Steve

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2008, 09:34:16 pm »
Mark, your work inspires us all. Can't wait to see how fast it shoots. Hope it holds for you. Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2008, 09:21:32 pm »
Steve
I like Hickory and Osage. Makes a good combination, better than Bamboo and Osage IMO. You should go to work on it and finish it up

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Badger

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2008, 01:18:42 am »
       Mark, working recurves have always given me fits. I just don't have the skill you have with them. I went and looked at it and decided to wait till I am really feeling extra patient  That stored energy you are getting is just blowing me away. I have done a few in the past semi successfully but htere was always something or other wrong with them. Ironicaly the first bow I ever built that didn break looked just like a wilcox duoflex, 3 laminations. I had tapered all three laminations and just glued it together, not a clue what I was doing, no tillering just cleaned it up and shot it. I just got lucky LOL. I am anxiously waiting to see how yours comes out.   Steve

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2012, 01:24:03 am »

Your bow looks strangely similar to this bow from the LOTR trilogy  ;D Bet they copied you though hehe
The bow is very nicely made and looks very fast! BTW are you canting  the bow a bit in that pic? Maybe its just me but the top limb looks like its bending slightly more. ???

-Alex

This bow is simply cool.  I love the round belly bendy handle version of the LOTR but I think it was rubber. I don't think I could get this form in a bow that fille dout the handle  with out building up and be under 1000lbs.  Not in Ipe or Hickory anway.  Maybee hickory but not as thick and bulky as that bow.

Offline Judo Point

« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2012, 05:48:08 am »
Very impressive Marc! Does ash have a stronger back than hhb? I've noticed you like to back your hhb with ash so I'm assuming that's the case or is there something else you gain from it? Awesome bow and looking forward to the final results! 

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2012, 09:59:41 am »
Excellent work, Marc! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2012, 01:51:08 pm »
WOW!  :o
This topic is over four years old!
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2012, 02:32:42 pm »
this will probably set record for the oldest topic still at the top of the menu :)  nice bow!! can't wait to see it finished
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2012, 03:25:01 pm »
  SWEETTT
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline k-hat

« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2012, 04:38:33 pm »
Marc:  Your handle designs on these always intrigue me, and i can't get my mind to wrap around just how you get that done.  Are there any threads where you elaborate on this?  If not, could ya? ;D