Author Topic: Back strap vs leg sinew  (Read 2624 times)

Offline Stick Bender

Back strap vs leg sinew
« on: June 04, 2016, 06:07:19 am »
Hi Fellas Im gearing up to make another sinew you bow I was thinking about using white tail back strap sinew vs leg sinew has any body noticed any difference between the 2 ,proscesing,peformance, Application Etc ?     
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Back strap vs leg sinew
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 06:21:42 am »
I've used both for arrow and backed mini bow, but mini is only bow I've backed. From my very limited experience the back sinew is much easier to process and use. I'm not sure if any advantage either way as far as elasticity. Both I think will do the job just think legs are probably a little more work, sure someone else will have more bow backing experience.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Redhand

• Marlen Murdock PM109458
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 09:47:54 am »
Processing leg sinew is more work than processing back sinew.  Back sinew will work the same as leg sinew it just need to be cleaned and washed for it has more animal fat on it.  I normally use the leg sinew to backed my bows and save the back sinew for wrapping fletching, points on arrows, also use it to wrap blade on knife handles, and to wrap set back handles , and below the nocks on my bows.  Hope this helps.  Good luck on your bow. 
Northern Ute

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 09:54:23 am »
I've used back sinew on a couple of bows and liked it. For me it lays better and neater. I haven't noticed any difference in the bows performance.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DuBois

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 10:03:37 am »
I have done a few sinew bows using leg sinew but never one with only backs. I have done 2 using a combo of both and I liked that.

I used the backs to put a nice covering course over the entire back and I agree with Pat that it is neater in laying down. Then I used the leg sinew for a thick crowning course once the backs gelled up a little. I didn't want to use up all my fine back sinew so this worked out great.

One of these bows went to half eye to finish out and then he sent it to Fred Arnold. It was a beast, just ask Rich about it  >:D

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2016, 02:43:37 pm »
I'm in Redhand and Pat B's camp of thought and experience.A good job can be done with both kinds though with experience.Especially with Pat M's process to finish it off.
One thing though don't throw away your waste.Keep it for making sinew glue in the future.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2016, 08:06:29 pm »
For some reason I can get leg sinew more fine and fluffy, and I like using it to back my bows. I've done one final layer with back sinew, I've found soaking it in water for a couple hours helps big time.
I like using back sinew for wrapping, and strings. For sure save your scraps, it makes the best glue

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2016, 10:12:55 am »
 I used both a lot in the pass. The only difference I can see is lenth.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2016, 10:09:22 pm »
I got some leg sinew from osage outlaw and it was long, very easy to lay down
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

mikekeswick

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2016, 04:51:22 am »
Leg sinew can be processed finer, it is also softer more absorbant of glue (easier wetting) and makes a much nicer backing. Back is quick easy and works but will leave a coarser texture. Upto you really.