Author Topic: Question on hole in limb of a yew bow  (Read 2061 times)

Offline Patches

Question on hole in limb of a yew bow
« on: June 02, 2016, 01:46:06 pm »
I got a small yew stave from Wizardgoat last year at the Classic.  I started working on it at Mojam last year, and then had not touched it all winter.  I got it out the other day and started working on it. It has a large knot hole on one limb, about 3 inches from the fade.  the hole angles toward the edge of the stave (see photo).  On the back of the bow, there is a tiny small spot where the knot hole ends, but it is right on the edge of the stave.  I left as much wood as I could around the hole but there was not much wood there to start with.  My question:  Is the knot hole going to be a fatal flaw? Ryan had said any bow made form that piece of wood will need backed (with rawhide I am guessing), so I was not sure if that would add the needed support.  The overall length of the bow is 64 inches.  I could shorten the bow to put the hole in a non-bending area, and Lebhuntfish suggested using an asymmetrical tiller to on the bow to go around the hole. I thought about super glue and sawdust, then I read I just read Wizardgoats topic about belly plugs, and that may be an option also. 

Do any of the experienced yew bowyers have any suggestions? 

Thanks I appreciate any help.  This will be my first yew bow.   

Thanks!

Neal
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline Patches

Re: Question on hole in limb of a yew bow
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 01:48:41 pm »
Also, do I need to take some of the sapwood off so it is closer to a 50/50 sapwood heartwood ratio?

"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline WillS

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 02:43:46 pm »
What weight and draw length are you going for?  If it's something sensible - 50lb at 28" for example - I'd be inclined to leave it.  It takes a lot more than a hole to make yew give up!

Offline ajooter

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 02:49:29 pm »
Since its that close to the edge of the limb i would be inclined to fill it.  Next hole i need to fill im going to use epoxy with some kind of dye in it...maybe a little sawdust as well.

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 03:32:57 pm »
I agree with wills. You may have to watch that it dosnt want to twist when you start bending it. It'll be a little weaker on that side.

Offline Patches

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 03:39:52 pm »
Thanks everybody. 

WillS, I am going for 45 - 50 lbs at 28 inches.  Definitely not a warbow, just a target/maybe hunting bow.

Offline WillS

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 03:46:08 pm »
How wide is the stave there?  I've always preferred cutting to the inside of a hole where possible, as I'm not a huge fan of leaving that thin ring around them on the outer edge. 

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2016, 03:49:28 pm »
Take a look at Del's blog. He plugs/fills holes like that all the time.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2016, 04:36:55 pm »
Patches, I can't fully remember why I suggested backing that stave.
For sure plug those holes up.  Getting that draw and weight shouldn't be an issue, but you'll need the whole bow to work.
Sapwood/heartwood ratio is whatever you'd like it to be, I have some bows that are mostly sapwood, but you should still have heartwood in your belly

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2016, 08:21:48 pm »
  No way do I just plug any holes up in limbs. Pluging with any materal will have either compression or tention. Pluging solid won't matter.

If I do plug it up it's with a carver plug,different jewelry,pendents. Any thing in the whole looks better than every 100 limbs until you see a knot hole. I've drilled a few knots out that were solid so I could replace it with some dictoration.

I hav'nt kept count but I dictorated a good 15 holes in some way.

That dos'nt look that bad. Yew will take that hole no problem. I'd build the bow then worry about what to do with the hole.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline PatM

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2016, 09:02:23 pm »

I hav'nt kept count but I dictorated a good 15 holes in some way.

Sorry, I laughed.  O:)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2016, 04:20:50 am »
Spit my coffee PatM. ;) ;D ;D ;D Miss Joanie say it always goes there with men. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good