Author Topic: Arrow pass material  (Read 7508 times)

Offline DC

Re: Arrow pass material
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2016, 01:59:24 pm »
This one I just used the Dremel flapper wheel and the buffing wheel. It came out great. This took maybe 10 minutes. Thanks for the hint. for some reason I don't think I would have tried this.

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2016, 02:26:22 pm »
That looks real nice!

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2016, 12:40:27 am »
I used shell , reclaimed Ivory ,Bone, old coins, leather, horn and likely a few that I've forgotten . Go nuts! Wear a dust mask and vacuum regularly . The harder materials make for a great surface to personalize with scrimshaw .

Offline DC

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2016, 01:42:55 am »
Yah, but you've got talent. When they were handing out talent I was hiding behind the door having a smoke. I got a couple of oyster shells from the beach this morning. I'll see if I can get it flat for a start. I found this vid
www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBlkyu27JGc

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2016, 02:02:21 am »
No problem as far as the advice goes. I'm always happy share what I know. I've learned so much from this site and all it members, it's nice to be able to return the favor now and again. The same technique can be used on some types of rocks and stones as well as most metals.

I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2016, 10:02:42 am »
Dremel is your friend ! Get some diamond bits (and a flex shaft if you can ). Sometimes simple is best . You only need to go to about 400 grit , then polish on the hard stuff . Horn , antler and ivory and bone will burn if you're not careful with the buffing wheel .

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2016, 07:47:40 pm »
WOW!!!!! Beautiful unique work.I've got some pieces of abalone.I'll have to try that once.I'll have to use my girl friends dremel tool though.
I shoot off my knuckle.My arrow passes are made in a way that the arrow only rides on a thin sliver of a raised area on the handle.Maybe 1/16" wide or less and less than that tall.Close to center shot.No obstruction/no catches/no nothing to inhibit the flight of my arrow.I put horn or bone there most times for wear on these whitewoods.Osage is usually harder than my arrow shafts really but I still put them on them too.Like said earlier though your release has to be in line spot on for practically 0 noise.Just the whisper of your string going by hitting home.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Whiskeyjet

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2017, 07:56:11 am »
Just stumbled on to this one....holy crap that's some amazing inlay work lostarrow! You should post a build along of that kind of work sometime it's very impressive!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2017, 09:02:29 am »
I like soft material that doesn't make any noise at all, ever. If I was going to add a hard surface to a hard surface, I wouldn't :) . But I'm a practical kinda' guy not so much a looks kinda' guy.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline FilipT

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2017, 09:17:02 am »
What was historically used material or mark? For example I always wondered what was on the side of warbows.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2017, 11:09:39 am »
I'm with PD. I like soft materials and use leather sanded thinly.
I've tried horn, shell, etc.
I want my bows SBD. :)
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2017, 01:07:27 pm »
I thought about using the guitar pick on the bow I just finished but thought it might make to much noise for a hunting bow so I cut a peace of the thinnest leather I can find and put it between to hard wood blocks and squeeze the crap out of it in the vice it comes out paper thin & ends up being whisper quiet !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline PatM

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2017, 03:19:51 pm »
When Jay Massey asked Gilman Keasey about the noise created by a mother of pearl arrow pass Keasey smiled knowingly and said  "nothing will cover up a bad release".

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2017, 03:26:11 pm »
 I don't worry about the release it's about the arrow being drawn that concerns me !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2017, 05:19:59 pm »
PatM, LOL, my arrows are silent on the draw and the release.
I tried the hard stuff years ago.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!