Author Topic: Fire loss  (Read 7903 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Fire loss
« on: May 23, 2016, 03:13:57 pm »
The local hardware store caught on fire early this morning.  I worked at this store when I was a teenager.  It was family owned for the last 50 years.  The owners are super nice people.  I've seen them help out needy families that couldn't afford supplies to fix their homes.  They always donated to the community.  I've stayed in touch with them over the last 20 years.  I always stop and talk to them at my kids sporting events.  The owner was into self bows.  He had several nice deer and a bull elk mount hanging in the store.  They were all taken with his osage bows.  The outside of the building is still standing but the inside was destroyed.  The paint cans and other chemicals turned into exploding bombs due to the heat.  Stores like this are few and far between thanks to the large chain stores.  It's a shame to see this one go like this.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Fire loss
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 03:15:37 pm »
Miserable.........
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 03:43:34 pm »
That's a shame.  Seems like it's getting harder and harder to even just find an Ace.
1’—>1’

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 03:57:54 pm »
That's a shame, hd closed all our small ones out, but a lowes is going in and should atleast make them treat ya better
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 04:00:57 pm »
We have a locally owned ACE Hardware. Don't know what I'd do without them. I hope these folks can rebuild.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 04:05:43 pm »
I gladly pay more money at shops like this. I don't even look at the prices, just buy what I need.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 04:11:07 pm »
That is a damned shame.  We are a good ways from a city of any size.  I trade with our small town hardware store all the time and have a great relationship with them.  It would hurt to see something like this happen.  Hope they are able to come back from this tragedy.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 04:34:01 pm »
The last small hardwear store we had was an ace, I've know the owners for years. Their agreement with ace was up and Larry wanted to work 5 more years and retire, ace said he had to sign for 20 so he closed down
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 06:48:14 pm »
I have always gotten some kind of kosmic high when I walked into an old time hardware store. The smell of seeds and fertilizer, the countless bins of nuts and bolts, traps hanging on the wall, work boots, tools and everything in between would always make me happy just to be there.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2016, 06:53:49 pm »
Yep, the customer service in these small hardware stores is stellar. Not, imo, because they are small, but because the only small stores in business these days is in business because they always provided stellar customer/community service.
Dang shame that this one went up in smoke!
Any chance they'll rebuild?
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2016, 09:35:51 pm »
I don't know if they will rebuild it or not.  I stopped and looked at it tonight on my way home.  What a shame.  The inside is destroyed. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2016, 10:56:08 pm »
We're pretty fortunate that we have several small town Hardware stores in the area. The owners all are very helpful with lots of good advice. There are two stores in perticular that are quite small but use every square inch. I can't imagine how they do inventory but they always seem to know right where everything is.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline chamookman

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2016, 04:47:26 am »
I'm with Eric - loved walking into the old time stores. Always seemed they had creaky floors also   :). I shop at local stores too and avoid the "Big-Box" stores like the plague !
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline PNewton

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2016, 06:46:44 am »
That's too bad. Nothing beat's a family owned business.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2016, 07:00:12 am »
That is bad, I love the old hardware stores. :) Hope they rebuild.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good