Author Topic: Fire loss  (Read 7891 times)

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
Re: Fire loss
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2016, 08:25:01 am »
That is a true loss.  The good ol' hardware stores are getting few and far between.  Like Bob said, the old creeky floored stores are the most interesting. 
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2016, 08:58:35 am »
We have an Ace one town over, it's a great place, they always have what I need.

I hope they can rebuild.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2016, 12:23:16 pm »
We are hanging on to one small family hardware store in our town, all the others are gone. I had a pipe freeze and burst last winter, called the guy at home and he drove into town and gave me a huge pile of pieces that i "might need". He just said "have your wife drop off what you didn't use any pay for what you did tomorrow". Sure don't get that treatment from the box stores!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2016, 06:50:14 pm »
That's sad.Sorry to hear that.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2016, 10:15:26 pm »
I gladly pay more money at shops like this. I don't even look at the prices, just buy what I need.

Dang straight!  I got two local hardware stores and most of the employees are semi-retired from the trades.  An electrician runs the electrical, a plumber runs the plumbing department, etc.  I count on them to tell me straight, and they do.  I have had employees walk by me and take something out of my hand and tell me, "don't buy that, it's crap, buy THIS". 

Yeah, I could pay less at the two box stores in town, but the people working there have no flipping idea what the difference between their butts and a hole in the parking lot!  My heart goes out to the owners and employees of this fine establishment. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2016, 12:41:46 am »
     Man that is sad!  Ditto to all of the above.  We have an Ace, and a True Value here, in town.  The true value is small, but they have a decent inventory, and the ladies, that work the counter, are super helpful, and far superior in knowledge about the inventory, than most of the people in the big boxes.  the manager, helped a guy on a Harley, that had lost a nut on a wire from the battery that connected to the switch.  He went to the tool section, and came back out with an assortment of NEW wrenches, and told him to see if any of them fit, and one did, and he even gave him the nut that fit the bolt that the wire connected to.  The guy on the bike was amazed at the generosity of this town.  I didn't anything standard that would fit the nut , just metric, and a couple of 9 1/6, and 1/2 inch standard.   And if the smaller store doesn't have something you need, they can order it.  Ace is the same way, plus they have free hot pop corn, in the back. ;)  Some things , I have to get from the big box but not from hd, When I need something I can't get here in town.  When I am in the big towns, that is when I go there, but for the most part, I shop local, you know them by name, and they know you by name.  The big boxes are like Jeff Foxworthy's Walter, get your s#$%, and get out!  I do hope they have good insurance, and can, and do rebuild.  Let us know when they find the cause and origin of the fire.
                                     Wayne
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 12:18:28 am by stickbender »

Offline DC

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2016, 12:09:41 pm »
I've found that the big stores actually have a very limited selection and they all have the same selection. They only sell what they sell a lot of. If you need something a little out of the ordinary you're better off in a small store. There's a hardware store in town that has been in business since the 1930's. They had the best selection of fasteners around. About ten years ago they joined a chain and the selection has just gotten smaller and smaller. At least now a chain that specializes in fasteners has opened. 

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2016, 03:26:38 pm »
Sad days in rising sun. Sorry to hear bout that Clint.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2016, 08:40:50 am »
They found out the cause of the fire.  A young employee and his buddy robbed the store during the night.  They went back and lit the place on fire to hide the burglary.  Then they started telling their friends that they did it and someone turned them in.  Idiots.  I hope jail is very unkind to them.  My nieces husband who lives next door to me is a jailer where they are being held.  I'll give him some suggestions to make their stay as uncomfortable as possible. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2016, 12:06:07 pm »
Idiot crack heads......we all did our share of goofy crap as kids, but this isn't one of those things that qualifies as goofy kid stuff. I hope they get at least 20 years.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2016, 12:26:33 pm »
They are around 20 years old.  I hope the judge is harsh on them.  The loss was estimated at 1 million.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2016, 02:15:34 am »

Well, arson is an easy 10-15 usually.  Likely to get 5-10, if they haven't had any priors, but arson isn't looked upon lightly.  Don't know about the arson laws in your state.  Well you won't have to worry about them building any rockets in prison.  You can tell your neighbor, to gift wrap a couple pairs of his wife's panties, and tell them it is from the big guy in the other cell.  Might put some KY jelly in the box also.  Maybe a few gifts from Bubba, will cause a bit of sleep loss.  Then tell them he wants to share their cell, and if want to share their cell with him...... >:D
                                    Wayne

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2016, 10:04:37 am »
Soap on a rope is always a good laugh...

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2016, 12:12:13 pm »
A Yoga book.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2017, 09:16:34 pm »
Well, it's been almost a year since the fire and the two guys that started it have been sentenced.  The judge was pretty hard on them.  They each received a total of 20 years with a minimum of 75% time served.  So at the very least they will be locked up for 15 years.  The store sits exactly like it did the day after the fire.  Nothing has been done to it.  I spoke to the owners for a good while at a track meet last night.  They are still battling their insurance company over the loss.  I suggested having a family reunion of sorts, with all of their former employees from the past 50 years.  That little hardware store has employed a lot of people over the years.