Author Topic: Takedown sleeve option...... failure  (Read 4771 times)

Offline bubby

Re: Takedown sleeve option
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2016, 10:36:33 am »
Looking good Paul, for what its worth most t/d bows stay one way or the other most of the time from what i have seen and aren't constantly being broken down
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline paulsemp

Re: Takedown sleeve option...... failure
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2016, 11:09:49 pm »
Well I tried not to get excited about this for good reasons. Got it strung up and started yanking on it a bit and the conduit aka thin wall EMT is starting to to deform from the pressure on the joint. There is slop in the handle that was never there. EMT, I can only imagine has a very low carbon content and hardening  it would do absolutely nothing. So I just scrapped the idea and glued the two together permanently. Sorry guys I was hoping to bring a bunch of sleeves to hand out in Marshall but I will be wasting everyone's time from what I can tell at this moment :'(

First brace

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
Re: Takedown sleeve option
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2016, 12:01:45 am »
Sorry it didn't work out Paul.
I was an electrician for 10 years in our family business. I just now read through this post. I was a little concerned about the EMT myself. See now days it's pretty much galvalume, that makes it a bit lighter and easier to bend. Now I'd you could get your hands on some more vintage EMT, say from the 80's that would probably work pretty good. That stuff is as hard as heck.

I found that the brass fitting that is for a tub drain extention and a piece of 1/1/4in top rail chain link fence pipe fits good together. But haven't tried it on any billets. A friend of mine uses the junctions in the top rail chain link fence pipe for his take down sleeves.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2016, 07:15:16 am »
Paul, I'm not sure if I had understood everything you mentioned.
Just one question: have you glued on the copper properly? I mean is all the air between the wood and tubing wall filled with epoxi?
I do this job very carefully while heating up the pipe with a bulb, this makes the epoxi run down like water and fill all the holes.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2016, 07:38:02 am »
Simson no problem with the copper. The steel tubing is deforming due to the pressure on the joint. The tubing is electrical conduit. It is not a hardened steel. I was very surprised considering the joint was extremely tight and nice. My caveman brain thinks if the two pieces are perfectly mated how could the outer sleeve bend. Honestly I do not think it was bending but actually stretching. Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2016, 07:44:48 am »
Time ventured and insight gained! Good experience thanks for sharing! Now is where a bunch hop on and tell you they knew it wouldn't work haha

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2016, 08:16:12 am »
Thats ok man. Better you finding out about it than us!  ::)
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline PatM

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2016, 09:20:18 am »
An old steel mountain bike frame might supply a decent sleeve if you cut a piece of seat tube and seat post.  Certainly the fit will be flawless.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2016, 09:53:56 am »
I wondered about the EMT, Now I know. If you didn't try, and didn't know, then you would have wondered. Good study anyhow.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline le0n

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2016, 10:50:28 am »
I have no clue regarding the properties of the metals you are working, but what about a heat tempering process after you deform the pieces in the vise?

Offline PatM

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2016, 11:29:00 am »
No carbon to do that.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2016, 11:41:42 am »
Duct tape?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2016, 12:13:23 pm »
No carbon to do that.

You can get a 40-45 rockwell on mild steel with superquench, but in this instance i would find i differant tube
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹