Author Topic: Lost my bow building Mojo..  (Read 2786 times)

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
Re: Lost my bow building Mojo..
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2016, 11:33:44 am »
If you make enough bows sooner or later you'll run into a spell of bad luck. Just keep telling yourself that it's just a piece of wood and move on to the next one.

+1
Don't know how many I have destroyed for what reason ever. I always was in the shop again, at least on the next day!  8)
keep it going on!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline DavidV

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2016, 05:24:19 pm »
I've been in the same slump. Haven't gotten in the shop as much as I'd like to and when I finally do another issue pops up. I really thought I'd have finished my trade bow by now.
Springfield, MO

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2016, 12:30:07 pm »
Same here!! The last 2 bows I've finished just didn't cut the mustard. I think my mind was elsewhere and I just couldn't seem to focus. I'm only now starting back after about 30 days of laying off. Sometimes we just need to take a break.

That being said I do feel much better about the two new staves in progress.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2016, 01:27:43 pm »
I've been in a slump for well over a year now. That is one reason I reluctantly said yes when I was asked to be in the first Invitational Bow Trade. It got me going on a nice, narrow osage sliver I had. All I needed was over 45# and I knew this piece of wood had at least that in it. I made a beautiful little bow that pulled just over 45# and shot very well. So, I decided to dress her up...buffalo horn tip overlays, snake belly skins from Osage Outlaw(thanks again Clint), hemp wrapped handle with a floppy rest, the whole kettle of fish. After shooting a few more times she went out of tiller. Talk about a kick in the pants. I re-tillered her back but to a much lower draw weight and gave her to a friend at the Classic for his grand daughter....making lemonade from lemons.  ;D
 I'm heading to the basement when I finish writing this to continue on with #2 that I started many weeks ago. I'm hoping this will get me out of my bow building slump. Only time will tell.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2016, 01:43:31 pm »
Well at least that nice bow went to a good cause Pat, a great example of "making lemonade from lemons".
My "Lemons" I fear are proving unworthy of kid bow salvage but I think I can make a couple atlatl's from them.
Thus taking a step backward ( in time..  ;) ) before heading back to the bow making.

Offline Badger

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2016, 01:53:21 pm »
   I am in kind of a slump as well. Last few years my motivation to build bows has been falling off. Last year I think I may have done maybe a dozen or so this year I think about 3 and none of them are quite finished.