Author Topic: Spring cut hickory  (Read 2196 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Spring cut hickory
« on: May 14, 2016, 07:58:24 pm »
Took a nice hickory log home.Split it and removed the bark slick like.Like that muscley look it leaves.Like coming right off the tree.For those who do this regularly no big deal but it's for those who hav'nt yet.This is the time to do this.Shellaced the ends and the backs too.

BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Spring cut hickory
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 08:11:36 pm »
Nice haul! It's always Spring in Florida.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 08:16:24 pm »
Wow nice haul Ed wish my winter cut hickory staves bark wood come off that easy nice looking wood.
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline ajooter

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 08:29:02 pm »
bark comes off great now!  ill be cutting some soon.  i do think its my favorite wood that ive had the chance to work so far.  do you seal the backs up as well or just the end?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 08:37:23 pm »
"Nothin' like a good piece of hickory."  -The Preacher, Pale Rider
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 08:40:35 pm »
Nice looking staves.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 08:45:24 am »
Yes sir it's getting that time of year !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2016, 09:01:47 am »
ajooter.....The back gets sealed too.It's rather cool here right now into the 40's at night so the wood will dry nice and slow like I want to prevent any checking too.A little time is needed for the sap and wetness to dry on back before shellacing the back too.Keep an eye on it every half a day or so.They are in the shed out of the wind and sun to prevent too quick of drying.Hickory needs to be stored up off the ground inside somewhere is best.Mine are on saw horses.Those darn post bore bugs can get in there.Real fine tiny holes.Ruin the whole thing.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2016, 09:23:29 am »
Wow those look awesome, I am having a devil of a time getting the darker brown final layer of cambrium off on some hickory that was cut a few months ago. May try to slip out to the woods during baby shower today if the time is right, thanks

Offline ajooter

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2016, 09:38:48 am »
I seal mine with elmers the only problem i have with that is that its sometimes hard to get ALL the glue off when i want to put a finish on the back.  Especially if im trying to dye the back.  The glue shows up black.  im thinking about just trying saran wrap and watching the condensation on the inside of the wrap and making holes accordingly to allow the moisture to escape.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2016, 03:39:34 pm »
those are some nice staves, congrats,, :)

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2016, 04:07:57 pm »
Wow those look awesome, I am having a devil of a time getting the darker brown final layer of cambrium off on some hickory that was cut a few months ago. May try to slip out to the woods during baby shower today if the time is right, thanks
I use a spray bottle of water and something to scrape with. I use plastic or some such thing that is not going to remove any wood. Just spray and let it soak for a second and then scape it off.
I found that the little wire brush that comes with your Dremel Tool works well for the last little bits that you can't reach. I actually did the whole back of my last yew bow. It seems to take off the inner bark/cambium without taking any wood. It cleans it right up and still leaves the natural under bark look.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2016, 02:49:43 pm »
DC, if you are using water soluble glue to seal the backs, how about trying your spray bottle of water and one of those green abrasive pot scrubbers?  When you mentioned using a plastic scraper to avoid taking off any wood, my mind tripped on the pot scrubber idea. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline DC

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2016, 03:40:35 pm »
 I use shellac so I can get it off easily. I will try the pot scubber next time. It sounds like a good idea. I was thinking it would be a good plan to scrub a freshly debarked stave to get rid of that slimey layer. I think that is actually the cambium.