Author Topic: Small wood haul  (Read 3521 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Small wood haul
« on: May 11, 2016, 11:55:48 am »
I love the smell of chainsaw exhaust early in the morning.  I headed out first thing today with plans on cutting a couple of small pieces to experiment with.  Like usual, once I get a chainsaw in my hand I get carried away.  From left to right:  Thin ringed osage, ash, paw paw, and a bunch of bush honeysuckle. 

The thin ringed osage has a better ratio than the one I blew up at the Classic. 

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Small wood haul
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 12:26:21 pm »
What's up with the honeysuckle?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 12:33:00 pm »
Supposedly it makes a good bow.  It seems pretty dense.  It's hard to find a large diameter straight section.  I'll bring a few to Marhsall if you anybody wants to mess with it. 

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 01:57:03 pm »
Oh to be Clint for a day!  ;D
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 05:22:21 pm »
I like that.....lol the smell of chainsaw smoke in the morning.A fella after my own heart.Paw paw.....hmmmmmm.Nick named an arkansas grand daddy wood......lol.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 05:30:27 pm »
You know me I will try anywood !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 08:03:03 pm »
Hummm ...love the looks of that osage, but that honeysuckle may not be dry enough to work by Marshall. If you have a dry box put a piece or two in it until Marshall and I'll try to make something out of it.
Thanks pal, was looking for something different to mess with other than arrows.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Mounter

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 08:49:38 pm »
Please excuse the dumb question, but is there an easy way to tell tight ringed osage before you cut it? i'm firing up the saw tomorrow..

Limbit

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 08:53:18 pm »
You looking to trade any of that wood? Looks great!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 10:01:16 pm »
Hummm ...love the looks of that osage, but that honeysuckle may not be dry enough to work by Marshall. If you have a dry box put a piece or two in it until Marshall and I'll try to make something out of it.
DBar

It won't be dry but you can still see what you can do with it.  And that chainsaw is cursed.  When I picked it up the guy started it and it ran perfect.  I carried it down the hill this morning and wore blisters on my hands trying to get it to start and run right.  I never could get it to stay running.  I'm going to take it back to him and see if he can fix it again. 

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 10:09:06 pm »
Please excuse the dumb question, but is there an easy way to tell tight ringed osage before you cut it? i'm firing up the saw tomorrow..

I can usually tell what kind of rings a tree will have by judging the bark.  There is a difference between young looking bark and old looking bark.  At least that is my observations for the trees on my property.  I did a post about reading the bark a while back.  Here is a link to page 2 where I have some pictures of the difference in bark.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,49976.15.html

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 10:10:33 pm »
DBar

It won't be dry but you can still see what you can do with it.  And that chainsaw is cursed.  When I picked it up the guy started it and it ran perfect.  I carried it down the hill this morning and wore blisters on my hands trying to get it to start and run right.  I never could get it to stay running.  I'm going to take it back to him and see if he can fix it again. 
Been there and done that .....I told you it was a piece of $hit that is why I just gave it to you !  After you did such a good job on the other saws I though you would enjoy getting this one working.....sorry for the blisters, I've got scars on my fingers from pulling that bastard............
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2016, 10:11:17 pm »
You looking to trade any of that wood? Looks great!

I don't want to trade any of this wood.  I cut these to experiment on.  I'm taking some of the honeysuckle to Marshall to share.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2016, 10:12:35 pm »
DBar

Been there and done that .....I told you it was a piece of $hit that is why I just gave it to you !  After you did such a good job on the other saws I though you would enjoy getting this one working.....sorry for the blisters, I've got scars on my fingers from pulling that bastard............

I'm not giving up on it yet.  There has to be some way to fix it.  It will be a good saw if it would stay running.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2016, 10:19:16 pm »
Clint,  if you can't get it running by then bring it to Marshall with you. I'll take a look at it for ya.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!