Author Topic: Lost my bow building Mojo..  (Read 2791 times)

Offline PaulN/KS

Lost my bow building Mojo..
« on: May 10, 2016, 10:14:41 pm »
Today the short bendy handle osage decided to show frets on one of it's limbs. Before that the short bendy handle ash did the same thing. Neither were radical designs, just simple bows that have worked in the past. I've either gotten a bad run of wood to work with or my bow Mojo has deserted me.  :-[
The next one to try will be a short piece of osage that has a nice natural reflex to it . If that one doesn't make a bow I have a long piece of hickory that should be "fool proof".  :-\
But then, never underestimate the power of a determined "Fool"...  ::)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Re: Lost my bow building Mojo..
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 10:17:29 pm »
You'll get it, bud!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Gordon

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 10:54:11 pm »
If you make enough bows sooner or later you'll run into a spell of bad luck. Just keep telling yourself that it's just a piece of wood and move on to the next one.
Gordon

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 11:43:02 pm »
Don't fret brother!  >:D Sorry I couldn't help myself!
I've been that way since the black locust broke at OJAM. Everything I have worked with has literally gone to pieces. That's why I put my trade bow aside for a while.
But I'm almost done with a little r/D bendy for my niece,  just gotta take some more weight off.
You'll get it,  just hang in there bud!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline bambule

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 01:51:17 am »
If you make enough bows sooner or later you'll run into a spell of bad luck. Just keep telling yourself that it's just a piece of wood and move on to the next one.

That's it!!!
Happens to all of us I think

Greetz
Cord
Niedersachsen, Germany

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 02:15:34 am »
Yeah, I've just had a run of repairs to do.
I've patched and rawhide backed a Yew primitive... dunno if it will hold. I might just give it away (it won't actually explode... just fold if it fails ... in theory >:D )
Keep on keepin on... the alternative is to ask her indoors :-* if she wants any decorating done :o :-X
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 07:02:12 am »
"Don't fret..." Thanks Patrick.   :laugh:
I appreciate the encouragement Gents.
Probably just a slump...  :-\

Oh and Del,  I am waaay behind on those indoor projects but it's Spring so the outdoors projects are calling...  ;)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 07:10:02 am »
Yep I have that happen from time to time, just have to get back on the horse and ride, it will get better. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 09:04:41 am »
I've had it happen too. Use it as a learning experience.
These things don't happen randomly. They happen for a reason.
About 10 years ago I had an osage bow break.
It was because I dd nt keep the knotted area slightly flat and that is where the stave brole.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline JonW

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 09:53:58 am »
Paul it sounds like you may be getting too serious and not having fun. Or you just haven't had enough libations ;) Sorry to hear it man. Just keep on keeping on.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 12:13:11 pm »
just slow down a bit, it'll come to you :)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 12:25:41 pm »
I agree with George, few things in this hobby happen randomly or from bad luck. Something made those bows fret. Poor tiller, green wood, poor design, who knows? The key is figuring out why and not letting it happen again via adjustments in your recipes :)

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2016, 08:14:47 pm »
It happen to me ...when I looked at the staves real close all were from the same tree.....there's a bunch of variables, stick with it and don't give up, it'll come around.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Frodolf

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2016, 02:31:16 am »
Last summer I broke 5 bows in a row(!). I knew humidity was up overall about 15-20 % but I didn't pay much attention to it, was kind of thinking that a perfect tiller can make up for loss of compressive strength that humidity brings. But eventually I had to adjust my bow design to the humidity. I quickly made a couple of overbuilt ELB's, 74" ntn, 1,5" wide at the handle, 40#/28". Just to have a couple of successes. That worked great for my mood, and somehow my bow making went well from there. So if I were to give you an advice, I'd say get working on the hickory stave right away and play it safe. Don't underestimate the good mood that comes from small successes. :-) Good luck!

Offline alcot

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2016, 10:51:40 am »
Some bows just don't go well. My last, hickory, fought me all the way. Took me 4-5 tries to heat the kinks out of it and in the process I scorched a spot. Finally cut a foot off one end in disgust. Took about a thousand scrapes to get it to start bending, but when I put a short string on it it was already borderline hinged on one limb??? Lost all the natural reflex. Finally called it finished and stained it dark to cover the scorched spot. Then when I gave it a coat of tung oil over the stain I ended up with a sticky mess that won't dry. Bow for sale cheap...