Author Topic: Another ? For the elders  (Read 2393 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Another ? For the elders
« on: May 08, 2016, 02:15:51 pm »
I'm sure some or maybe even most of you have had to deal with torn rotator cup. I had physical therapy for mine this winter and it really helped a lot. I actually felt better than I have In 15 years. Naturally once physical therapy is over and i get in my super busy normal every day life it's hard to keep up those exercises and I don't have some of the machines they had to work out on. I'm still trying to do some of the exercises but can feel that twinge coming back, not nearly as bad as it was but starting to effect my draw. Anybody have any tips?
Thanks bj
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Ruddy Darter

Re: Another ? For the elders
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 02:43:40 pm »
I hurt my shoulder early last year, a mix of shooting warbows topped with a play fight under the influence, (a bad takedown on my part and landed on my shoulder, broke my nose and cracked a couple of ribs..d'oh  :-\) , I didn't get it checked out but felt like my rotator and couldn't draw a bow for a while and was painful in the gym limiting me to a few excersises I could do. One day I had enough and thought I'd go on a heavy punch pad station, ( multiple punch pads set in different positions on a fixed frame, very much like hitting a heavy bag) I thought what the hell, I'll pay for this tomorrow and really went for it due to being in a bad mood...but to my surprise it worked wonders and I did this for a few sessions and it sorted my shoulder right out . my theory is the motion of hitting something hard multiple times smoothed out internal scar tissue and lactic acid build up on the injury and loosened everything up. All right as rain now. ( start out gently though, unless you're in a particularly bad mood like I was  >:D)

Ruddy Darter. ( Deep tissue massages works wonders too. )
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 02:21:41 pm by Ruddy Darter »

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 02:52:22 pm »
Thanks for the tip Ruddy. I know mine has been getting worst for many years and after the physical therapy I'm sure using and strengthening other muscle's to do its job really helps.

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 02:59:43 pm »
I think it's more to do with scar tissue rubbing that causes the aches and pains when the injury may well be for the best part healed, and using it less compounds in making it stiff and weak.
I'm only saying what worked for me though, you got to be careful with the shoulders...hope you find what will help you.
I've heard those heavy duty orthopedic rubber bands/resistance bands are also very good used regularly, especially a warm up with one prior to archery spares later aches and pains, and a little stretch with one after probably a good idea too, dispel any lactic acid from building up on there.
Here's a video and links to more that may be of some worth ->>>-----------> https://youtu.be/CwbFdscK20c
https://youtu.be/xe6GTFP53kw
Ruddy Darter.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 04:01:37 pm by Ruddy Darter »

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 06:47:04 pm »
Been there, done that with lots of back and shoulder injuries, #1 priority, stop making excuses  to miss your exercises. Sounds harsh but we all have the time to do things we want to do and no time to do the things we don't care for. I am on a constant exercise program for my back and a recent shoulder injury, if I stop my exercises I become a basket case in about a month so I keep pluggin along.

When I injured my left shoulder, already had the right one rebuilt, within 30 minutes my arm was so weak I couldn't hold up a cup of coffee. I kept waiting for it to get better but I had little improvement until I made myself do my own rehabilitation. The shoulder is almost back to normal after 2 months of weight work. 

Offline Zuma

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 06:48:09 pm »
Anybody have any tips?
Thanks bj
Well for one stay out of pubs while wearing your fancy
Robin Hood outfits. >:D
You know I had to do it Ruddy >:D
Actually I hope you all mend up just fine.
What's life with out pulling a few strings.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 06:56:42 pm »
I know you're right there Eric they have helped me a great deal. I'm still trying to keep up with them I don't have the exercise machines they had but can do some at home. I guess I'm wounding if anybody has some exercises or stretches they find help them best.

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 02:52:26 am »
These are stretches I do every time before excersises, there great for loosening the shoulder anytime. First pic takes some doing at first and needs caution, using a resistance band instead of the stick is probably a good idea to start with. You follow this by bringing it back over the head and repeat slowly, keeping arms straight throughout all motion.
The second pic is a great stretch, using the lower hand you pull the stick forward causing the shoulder joint to twist backwards, take it as far as you can and hold for a few seconds and alternate shoulders. Needs to be performed slowly and with caution.
The third pic is also very good, the back of the hands are placed on the top of the hips and elbows are squeezed towards each other, to take the stretch further the elbows are squeezed together with the use of the knees. Take as far as you can and hold.
:D   Point taken Zuma, and I'm tea-total now, that was a slip off the wagon incident  ::))

Ruddy Darter.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 03:26:11 am by Ruddy Darter »

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2016, 03:11:56 am »
And another couple, easy to do and effective anytime for a stiff shoulder.

Ruddy Darter.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 04:56:58 pm by Ruddy Darter »