Author Topic: Hunting cloak material?  (Read 4148 times)

Offline Lumberman

Hunting cloak material?
« on: May 08, 2016, 10:40:07 pm »
Ever since seeing that post where someone made a little "elvish"cloak for his daughter I have been wanting one to hunt in. Anyone on here do that? My wife is pretty handy on the sewing machine so I just need to get her the fabric and a design, well I can tell her to wing it on the design but what fabric would you use?

Offline dylanholderman

Re: Hunting cloak material?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 11:43:53 pm »
army surplus wool blanket ;) depending on the style of cloak you might not even cut it just make or bye yourself a cloak pin and throw it over your shoulder   >:D

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 11:47:40 pm »
There's so pretty cool designs for Hunter's Frocks.  Check those out. I made a buckskin one years ago.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Josh B

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 11:54:15 pm »
I'm planning on making mine out of surplus wool blankets.  It depends on what you're likely to be hunting in.  If I were just looking for something to shed water and stop the wind, I would probably go with oiled canvas.  I'm looking for warmth is why I plan on using wool.  Josh

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 01:09:52 am »
YouTube can give ya some ideas. Search using "wool blanket as cloak".
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 08:53:17 am »
Well I tend to end up going through thick brush since I hunt the ground or climber stand; I thought a wool or cotton might be too prone to tearing out. Oil canvas would probably be ideal as far the elements and maybe I could layer it in the winter or just layer beneath.. The main thing that appeals would be a wind block and a heightened illusion of sneaky badassness, but I figured a leather or hide would have to be oiled and then my nemesis (the whitetail nose) would gain even more advantage. I guess I'll take a look at the surplus store, thanks!

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 10:48:41 am »
Also if you want to get a little fancier than just throwing a blanky on yer back don't be afraid to go to the craft stores, Joanns or the like and check out the McCalls and Simplicity patterns, I can't recall which one has it but there is one pattern in the costume section that has four or five different cloak variations in the same pattern, and since it's pretty much triangles for the main cloak pieces they are easy to work with and can get pretty nice. My wife made me a nice cloak with a shoulder cape, I'm thinking of making a new one with a hood and maybe layered shoulder capes. I have a particular vision for a winter cloak that I will never have a use for living in Fl but I want to use fur inside for the lining, wool on the outside with a layer of felt (for it's ability to still keep you warm when wet) in the middle. A good spray with scotchguard does wonders for shedding water. For closure I don't use a cloak pin or a purpose made clasp, I simply sewed on two largish fancy buttons and took some leather thong and tied a loop on each end with about an inch or so between them and put the loops over the buttons.

Offline Spotted Dog

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 10:23:28 pm »
Look up historical clothing. There are a lot out there that make clothing. Wool, Hemp, Canvas. Check on those who make historical tentage too.
I do not want to post links so google them. 
Quite a few sell patterns also.
Dog
A three strand cord is not easily broken. Ecc.4:12

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 10:47:09 pm »
I have a "tin cloth" duster made of oiled/waxed canvas.  I can tell you it sheds rain like a tin roof.  But unless it is 70 degrees or better, it is stiff like tin roofing material.  And it scrapes on everything, noisy as a tin roof in a hail storm!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 11:11:55 pm »
^Lol
 Thanks guys

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 11:07:34 am »
Ditto what JW commented.I just use a gilly hooded coat.Bought it though.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed