Author Topic: Recurves and heat guns  (Read 2675 times)

Offline DC

Recurves and heat guns
« on: May 04, 2016, 10:19:34 pm »
Have you guys found that when you start making recurves and RD's that you spend a LOT more time watching a heat gun?

Offline Weylin

Re: Recurves and heat guns
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 10:33:49 pm »
Ugh, tell me about it. This recurve I'm making has been a pain. I've been staring at the back of that heat gun more than I'd like to, that's for sure.

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 10:45:35 pm »
I'm hoping that soon I'll develop a sixth sense about how far is enough. I have found it's a good time to straighten arrow shafts, but I guy only needs so many of those ;)

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 11:17:45 pm »
 These took about 15-20 each but if a 9 year old has the patience to do it i guess we can 😈

failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

mikekeswick

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 02:58:02 am »
Use steam!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 08:50:31 am »
I hold my heat gun 2" from the belly and move it back and forth constantly for about 6". When that is done I move out 6 more and continue. I do this all the way out the portion to be heater.   For recurves I clamp the tip in the form, oil the wood well and, moving the gun back and forth I heat until gravity takes the bow down. I then clamp it and walk away. I never leave the heat gun unattended.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 11:26:06 am »
The initial bends I use steam mostly. It's the string alignment corrections that I use the heat gun for. It only takes a few minutes to do a correction but then you have to wait for it to cool. Then you find that you didn't go far enough or you went too far. Then it's do it again. Or you notice that your string doesn't lift off both ends at the same time. Break out the heat gun. It seems to add more than a few days to a build. 

Offline PatM

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 11:47:27 am »
Cool it with a chemical ice pack.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 08:57:52 pm »
That's when I drink a beer and chill out. Never takes more then twenty minutes and I open another one and cool the wood down with wet rags.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?