Author Topic: Black Locust Dimensions  (Read 2471 times)

Offline TarzanMan

Black Locust Dimensions
« on: May 05, 2016, 09:08:35 am »
Hi. I just need some quick opinions on black locust now dimensions.  I have a stave that stripped down to a single GR and is 64 inches long.  Ready to run a straight line and find my center but I am unsure as to how much width on the limbs.  I have made a hickory bow with 1.5 inch limb width but surely a black locust how would be thinner.  Let me know! Thanks.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Black Locust Dimensions
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 09:20:59 am »
I'd go 1 1/2" for the locust too. Locust is a very hard hardwood but it is brittle and can fret easily if overstressed. Locust handles belly tempering well and it will improve it's compression values.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 10:27:30 am »
1.5 in is fine. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 10:56:02 am »
IMO, don't go wide.  Less than 1.5".  Reasoning is, locust has good tension, but brittle compression.  Less backing, less chance to ruin the belly.  Some say the opposite, but I have found narrow is better.  Just my findings.
Westminster, MD

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 09:04:01 pm »
I would say 1 1/2 inch wide too.  I have had good luck at that width. 

Offline dantolin

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 03:21:54 am »
I also would go for< 1"1/2 
Nice wood to work with, but it varies a lot from tree to tree. I had some very dense ones and other like almost normal ash...
Good luck and enjoy :)
David

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 05:12:44 pm »
OK, I'm the spoiler here. I'd go 2" wide. I've made a lot of locust bows. My reasoning is that wider means thinner and more able to take the bending without chrysals.

Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

mikekeswick

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 02:34:38 am »
Yup me too. I would start at 2 inches then narrow during tillering if necessary. Trap the back and heat treat the belly. Magic wood. I wish it grew here.....Oh and forget your stringline - follow the grain!

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2016, 10:42:29 am »
Start wider.  1.5" is a good place to finish, maybe, but not such a great place to start.  My own BL bows are wider than that, unless pretty long, and you only have 64".