Author Topic: How fast?  (Read 5877 times)

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: How fast?
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2016, 01:55:34 pm »
yes let it get to 16% or so,, but if you clamp it down in a floor tillered state,, it won't warp,, be sure and coat the back and handle and fade area, the thicker areas try to check when you rush,,,, it will be dry enough to make a bow by sept,,,, I agree it is better to cure more slowly,, but a good hunting bow can be made as stated,, it may follow the string more than a more cured stave,, or check slightly if you heat treat , that is the trade off, but if you shoot a deer he won't know the difference,, :) good luck with your project,, hope you get one,,

Offline sapling bowyer

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2016, 01:25:19 am »
If we do not have clamps, can we use weights on the limbs to stop it from warping?
Time is short

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2016, 01:39:07 am »
Like Mike said. Take it slow then ramp it up.

I havent done any speed drying of osage, but I have pushed other woods along. I like to speed season it when I do. That is, I will subject it to varying humidity, temperature, and pressures towards the end of the process. I dont put much thought or effort into it, I just move the stave around the shop (uninsulated) and in and out of the hot box over the course of several weeks while I am working on other bows. I feel like the wood becomes more stable and less likely to encounter surprises later, than if you just force it one way towards dry.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2016, 06:42:07 am »
Can you quick dry and make a shootable bow from Osage , of course you can if you are careful, can you make the best bow that piece of wood could have made NO IMO, I have made enough from Osage to know their is a difference in dry and seasoned, I know I just opened a can of worms. ;) :) :) If you are on a mission like you said then go for it. :)
 Pappy
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 06:46:30 am by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2016, 08:04:39 am »
Mounter, yes you could have a shooter by then if you were a fairly experienced bowyer.
During Nov of 1989, I decided I wanted to make a bow. I finally got a hunting weight shooter some time during the early 90's. Jawge
http://traditionalarchery101.com/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2016, 10:17:57 am »
Sapling, you can bind the stave to a 2x4 with twine or thin rope if you don't have clamps.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ryder

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2016, 11:08:25 am »
I'm quite interested in this thread. Although I am FAR from an experienced bowyer, Tim Baker writes in the Traditional Bowyer's Bible Vol. 4 (pg 22) that any wood can be dried to the highest quality in days, and that the idea that wood must be long cured to make a decent bow is a myth. He then goes on to say that any time such a myth is raised it should be challenged vigorously. I could only describe that as strong words.

However, I've also noticed from my own learning curve of quick drying wood, it can have a tendency to check and warp if not handled correctly. So I suppose that drying wood in a matter of days/week or two is quite possible, but might take considerable experience and expertise to handle perfectly...? and that slow drying has been demonstrated to be unnecessary, but it may well be the safest route...?

Offline PatM

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2016, 12:03:18 pm »
Yes but not once did I hear Tim describe splitting a  log and making one half into a bow in a week or so and leaving the other half for at least a year and then comparing the two.

There is no doubt that a decent or even very good bow can be made in a  very short period of time though.

It's whether the last few percentage points of excellence matter to you and make it worthwhile to be patient.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2016, 01:39:45 pm »
All my osage has been cut for 10 years or more so I guess I am using seasoned wood.

One other thing I have found to promote the seasoning idea; I carefully spined all my multitude of wood arrow shafting years ago. Ten years later most of what I spined has gained 3# to 5 # over the first spine check done years ago.

Offline Mounter

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2016, 01:49:08 pm »
Good discussion, my ears are wide open...
As far as experience, A whole lot of book learning, TBB 123&4, Comstocks book, Torges books, a couple others, Plus alot of PA magazines starting with Volume 1, issue 1. I was a subscriber for 5 or 6 years, plus a bunch bought of the shelf..
Hands on experience, A G. Davis bow blank , and a couple osage staves that had already had the ring chased, plus a few osage kids bows. I'm sure the tiller could be better on all, but so far they survive. Plus a couple hickory bows that I cut and split myself... They survive, but not so good of bows.

Anyway, I hope I don't over step my bounds, but I'll post some pics. of a bunch of trees, they'll probably all get cut eventually, but right now I'm just looking for a good one to try and speed dry a stave from..

Offline Mounter

« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2016, 01:57:22 pm »
TEST?

Offline Mounter

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2016, 02:15:06 pm »
Guess it worked? Hope they aren't to big?

I read somewhere that where they grow can make a difference so this is an over view. All the potential victims are in about a 40 yard circle here. It's a natural spring area, that stays wet year round.

So some close up, I think there's 8 to choose from. Big ones first, This ones about 12/14 inch diameter, with a bout a 7 foot straight section.

This ones bigger and I could probably get 2 6' plus section if that limb on the left is not a problem.

Offline Mounter

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2016, 02:29:34 pm »
10/12 inch, a forked limb on this side, the rest of the tree is clean.

same size, limb on the right?

9/10 diameter

Offline Mounter

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2016, 02:49:13 pm »
oops, 10/12, atleast a good 7 foot section.

couple smaller, 7/9 at the base

I'm hoping one of these can fit the bill. Their easy to get to and I can stay realatively tick and poison ivy free. But I have tons more if I need to keep looking?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2016, 07:40:23 pm »
I think the cured wood will make a better bow,, but I can not prove that, I made lots of good shooting bows from wood that was just dry,,not cured,, so I don't know,, but a just dry bow, not cured,, will for sure kill a deer just as good as any  bow,, just depends on what our end goal is,,,just like a bow that follows the string and shoots a little slow, can make a great hunting bow,, maybe you have to pull a little extra weight to get the cast you want, but the deer will not know the difference ,, or really a target for that matter,,,, so it just depends on what you want and what your definition of good or great bow is,,,, I have a sinew bow I cracked when first bracing,, the tiller is off and I had to patch it,, its not a great bow,, but it shoots the best for me of all my bows,, I killed a deer with it last year,, if I posted it here people would want to cook hot dogs with it,, :),,,,its not the best bow I have ever made,, but it works the best,, hmmmmmm,, bow making can be infinitely interesting,,