Author Topic: A classic bow experiment  (Read 21930 times)

Offline Hamish

Re: A classic bow experiment
« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2016, 08:50:04 pm »
I'm still playing Devil's advocate, theoretically if you had a wider stave of the same crap osage, and you gave the bow wider limbs, you could get a safe bow, with better performance and less set. Same principles from Tim Baker's extensive experiments with various woods.  Rawhide backing for extra insurance. It may not ever be a favourite bow, but it wouldn't shoot like a total dud either.
That was crap osage but how many bows from other woods are going to survive if you overdraw 4". Hickory and white oak might have a good chance, even good osage might not survive, but ash or maple and many others would blow. 
I think OO's experiment shows is how good even a really bad piece of osage is, when compared to other woods. Yep its still  a long way from an average piece of osage but it surely must be similar to an average piece of ash or some less dense timber. Really thin rings are not good in any ring porous timber even when they aren't violated  or have a better early to latewood ratio, but a wider limb and rawhide would get around those deficiencies.

Offline PatM

« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2016, 09:51:10 pm »
 Apparently you're not allowed to speculate like that. ;)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2016, 10:00:17 pm »
I'm sure Clint will give either one of you guys the take- down bow if you think you can get it to work.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #78 on: May 03, 2016, 10:06:21 pm »
To late Mullet.  One limb tip is headed to Mojam or Ojam, I can't remember which one.  Somebody was fascinated with it and wanted to show it around there.  The other tip is being made into a spoon.  I signed the riser section and stashed it away in Pappy's bow shop.

If it's not raining tomorrow I'll try to find another micro ringed tree to cut.  I'll find one with a better ratio to experiment with.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PatM

« Reply #79 on: May 03, 2016, 10:59:14 pm »
I'm sure Clint will give either one of you guys the take- down bow if you think you can get it to work.

I'd be all over the other half of the tree. ;)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #80 on: May 04, 2016, 07:19:18 am »
Me, too, Pat. I hate to waste Osage.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #81 on: May 04, 2016, 11:05:41 pm »
PatM and Eddie .................
I had my eyes and hands on this piece of osage and it felt like a  piece of water maple (silver maple)in the hand .  Making a bow with "good " cast from this wood/tree would be nearly impossible.   You would have to have it in you hands to believe it......
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #82 on: May 05, 2016, 02:49:13 pm »
maybe I am missing something, if the bow was drawing to 30 plus,,, then it would have been able to shoot an arrow,, if the bow was as light in mass as stated, it may have had good cast,, even with 3 inches of string follow,, the longer power stroke compensating for the follow,, ok at least average cast,, :) am I allowed to speculate,, :)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #83 on: May 05, 2016, 02:55:24 pm »
The limbs didn't have much spring back when I let down on the string after drawing it.  It felt as if they had been soaking in water for a few days.  The only other time I have seen that in osage was the super curly bow that I tried to make a few years back.  It was beautiful wood but garbage for making bows.  For you guys speculating on how it could have been turned into a good performing bow I'm not sure what it will take to convince you otherwise.  Everyone that saw and felt it in person knew it was junk.  I guess it feels a little different through a computer screen  ;D 

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #84 on: May 05, 2016, 03:01:33 pm »
your are probably right for sure,, I am just speculating for fun, kinda like back seat driving,, :)

Offline Otter

« Reply #85 on: May 05, 2016, 03:05:37 pm »
I saw it first hand and it was junk ..... It looked as if it was a 90 pound plus pull bow and was lighter than my red malberry bow. Like Clint said it had no spring back.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #86 on: May 05, 2016, 05:40:49 pm »
This was an experiment! Clint wanted to see if this thin ringed osage would lift a splinter causing it to fail. The experiment came out successful, the bow did not break due to violated grain. It did fail by breaking across the back...on both limbs simultaneously due to being overdrawn and being weak wood.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #87 on: May 05, 2016, 09:00:18 pm »
 But,but,but,,,,,,Osage is King!
Lakeland, Florida

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #88 on: May 05, 2016, 09:49:29 pm »
But,but,but,,,,,,Osage is King!

Exactly Mullet.  If it was any other wood it would have broken way before 32"  ;D

Offline PatM

« Reply #89 on: May 05, 2016, 10:09:47 pm »
Oh, I don't know about that....