Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Expectations

<< < (2/2)

Urufu_Shinjiro:

--- Quote from: mikekeswick on April 28, 2016, 01:59:08 am ---Haha! The Scorton Silver Arrow. Scorton is about 10 miles from where I live! It is a good shoot and i'm surprised you had heard of it, it's the oldest still running competition in the Country.

--- End quote ---

I belong to a historical recreation society, we do armored full contact combat, rapier combat, combat archery and target archery not to mention any number of period arts and crafts skills etc. We're not a reenactment society where every stitch has to be perfect etc, we call it the middle ages as it should have been and just do our best to recreate history without being exclusive, more mead and singing round the fire after a day of tourney than "You're buckle is 8 thousands of an inch too wide and looks plated, you're now outcast", lol.

loon:

--- Quote from: mikekeswick on April 28, 2016, 01:59:08 am ---Haha! The Scorton Silver Arrow. Scorton is about 10 miles from where I live! It is a good shoot and i'm surprised you had heard of it, it's the oldest still running competition in the Country.
Loon - your hornbow can shoot a lot less than 10gpp quite safely. Proper Korean bows store quite a bit of energy and are very effective at 100+ yds. I suspect that your glass bow isn't really made for top performance.

--- End quote ---
It's a Nomad KTB. Has a decent amount of reflex. It should do well with lighter, 350-400gr arrows and a full 33" draw and clean release. I wouldn't be too surprised at 300 yards then..

I wonder how well a Korean hornbow would do. Apparently not much differently than the better synthetics. But there's no way I could maintain such a thing.

This is my hornbow. It has horn on the ears. It's not that fast, but not that slow. Seeing that Adam Karpowicz has apparently tested hornbows at 3gpp or so, I guess you're right about this being able to stand lighter arrows, but the notch blew up once already. I had  to reglue it, file the notches deeper and wrap the ears with sinew below the notches...

Marc St Louis:
Thomas Duvernay lives, or used to live, in Korea and shot Korean hornbows, I think he was friends with a horn bowyer over there.  He claimed to have shot a light carbon arrow, with a siper, over a ski hill once using one of his bows for a distance of over 500 yards

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version