Author Topic: RD Design  (Read 1740 times)

Offline DC

RD Design
« on: April 25, 2016, 03:44:19 pm »
I'm about to shorten my RD caul and I'm trying to decide where the reflex bend should be. I could make the belly of the bend in the middle of the limb or closer to the tip. Closer to the tip would be more of a recurve than a reflex I guess. Does it make any difference? I seem to recall that someone made a comment about one of Bubby's(I think) bows suggesting that he should move the bend closer to the tip. I can't find the post to see if it said why :( I could make an adjustable caul (ala Dean Torgues?) but I don't know if it would work for heat treating on. I think it would bend too much at the supports. Any advice? Experiences?

Offline Springbuck

Re: RD Design
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 04:05:42 pm »
I would.  You start losing that string angle/tension advantage if you don't.

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 04:07:05 pm »
Sorry, I would--What?

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 04:11:48 pm »
Sorry. I would move the bend closer to the tip.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 04:49:22 pm »
  Well, as I think I understand it......  At say 68", one of my forms took the limbs back 2" at mid-limb and then forward 4" from there, so the tips ended up a couple inches ahead of the handle to start.  R/D is already pointed back at the handle area, say the first 25% of the limb, and this, coupled with the fact that a tiny amount of bend here makes a big movement at the tips, means it only needs to bend a little here.  Most of the bend is in the middle 50% of each limb.

So, if the inner limb deflexes sharply and the tips sweep forward gradually, the outer 1/2 of the limb is straighter. I it's almost straight to start with, any tiny bend you allow it can straighten it out completely.   This takes less advantage of the string angle and braced tensions design features that make the R/D design so nice.  You are almost forced to bend the inner 25% more, the next 25% bend more, bend the outer portion not at all, or it will straighten out all the way.  Not the end of the world, but if you have some curve there, the inner 25% can bend a little, the middle 50% a lot, and you can have a stiff tip and a nice reflex hook at the tip.  If you don't the inner 25% has to bend more, the next 25% more, and the whole rest of the limb less, or the limb will go totally straight, or even start to bend toward the tips, too much.

Hope that made sense at all.    The "low-stack" design in the TBB by Adam Karpowitz is fine, too, and nothing wrong with a setback handle.  When I made this mistake trying to R/D a laminated mollie way more than I should have, it worked OK, because i was planning on the long stiff lever and it stayed reflexed because it was stiff.  I guess the takeaway is that less bend in the outer forces you into longer and longer stiff tips.

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 04:56:53 pm »
Thanks, that works for me.

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 11:22:57 pm »
You can start the reflex in the center of the limb but it should be a gradual arc, no point in making a relfex deflex if you tiller the shape out of it once braced. The whole point is the low string angles it gives you. Try to avoid a sudden curve in the mid limb in favor of a gentle curve mis limb increasing as it goes toward the tip. Easier to tiller and a much better braced profile.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 07:42:15 am »
Yeppers I'll second badgers call.Learned my lesson there.
Dean Torges caul is good for laminated or bamboo backed bows like BBO's with the adjustable deflex point.BBO's seem to handle the stress better than other woods.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2016, 09:15:57 am »
  Badger.. "no point in making a relfex deflex if you tiller the shape out of it once braced."

There, ya go, Steve.  That's what I meant even though it took me 4 paragraphs to say it.